Sihanoukville: reports of up to 40 foreign passports lost or stolen.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Re: Sihanoukville: reports of up to 40 foreign passports lost or stolen.

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Can't believe people actually believe they'll get anything other than an insincere sorry.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doesn't Travel Insurance cover this sort of thing?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RE: Re: Sihanoukville: reports of up to 40 foreign passports lost or stolen.

Post by epidemiks »

Username Taken wrote:Doesn't Travel Insurance cover this sort of thing?
Sihanoukville folk with travel insurance? You're having a laugh, surely
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

SinnSisamouth wrote:i would say it is the agents fault as they are the ones in receipt of the passport so they should take care of it

and seriously, putting them on a bus!
on a virak bus!!! :ROFL:

unbelievable
Yeah, they sure picked the most notorious bus company, known for random thieving and unsafe luggage protection.
Maybe from now on they will use Sorya buses ? Or the Rith Mony express ? :dragonchase:

That said, shouldn't knock Sorya buses; I sent a key in an envelope across country the other week with them, including a change in PP, and it was delivered to the door.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

epidemiks wrote:
Username Taken wrote:Doesn't Travel Insurance cover this sort of thing?
Sihanoukville folk with travel insurance? You're having a laugh, surely
I'm sure we could guess that some of them were tourists with insurance.

The others, the ones with beards, will be getting it from their family and friends, "I told you to get insurance, blah, blah, . . ".

And the ones whose visas had already expired were probably in on the Great Passport disappearance anyway.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
SinnSisamouth wrote:i would say it is the agents fault as they are the ones in receipt of the passport so they should take care of it

and seriously, putting them on a bus!
on a virak bus!!! :ROFL:

unbelievable
Yeah, they sure picked the most notorious bus company, known for random thieving and unsafe luggage protection.
Maybe from now on they will use Sorya buses ? Or the Rith Mony express ? :dragonchase:

That said, shouldn't knock Sorya buses; I sent a key in an envelope across country the other week with them, including a change in PP, and it was delivered to the door.
did the burglars leave the key in the front door after they robbed you?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

It's hard to believe they left 12k in box with passports.

Surly they can just get their 300 back and spend 100 on a new passport.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LionsLeftTesticle wrote:It's hard to believe they left 12k in box with passports.

Surly they can just get their 300 back and spend 100 on a new passport.
US $120 for 10 years
UK £72.50
Australian $277

Will Cambodia transfer a 1 year extension from an old passport to a new one? I had to carry both passports with me before when i had an old passport with my one year extension and my new passport where they stamped me in.

This is will be a huge headache and expense for many...
And the ones whose visas had already expired were probably in on the Great Passport disappearance anyway.
someone with an expired passport /visa, would not be applying for an extension or a visa for another country
Last edited by phuketrichard on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Tourists Left in Limbo After Passport Theft From Agency
February 7, 2017

About 50 tourists whose passports were stolen after being sent away for visa extensions last month were still in limbo on Monday despite a large travel agency reportedly agreeing to foot the bill for new documentation.

According to Chea Sokhum, a branch manager at bus company Virak Buntham, 50 passports were sent to VLK Travel in Sihanoukville from smaller agencies in the coastal town last month. VLK then passed them onto CPSTA, a logistics company, who arranged for the package to be taken to Phnom Penh on a Virak Buntham bus on January 22, Ms. Sokhum said.

The passports were then placed in a Virak Buntham office in Daun Penh district, but were stolen by “two scavengers” that night as a security guard napped, she said.

On Monday, 20 representatives of small travel agencies in Sihanoukville met with VLK, which agreed to foot the bill for issuing new documentation, said Keo Sreyrath, the owner of Otres Tour & Travel.
“I already settled it for the clients. I sent them to Phnom Penh to get new passports, and I will pay for all the expenses,” she said, adding that VLK would reimburse her.
VLK representatives declined to comment...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/tour ... cy-124680/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Tourists Left in Limbo After Passport Theft From Agency
February 7, 2017

About 50 tourists whose passports were stolen after being sent away for visa extensions last month were still in limbo on Monday despite a large travel agency reportedly agreeing to foot the bill for new documentation.

According to Chea Sokhum, a branch manager at bus company Virak Buntham, 50 passports were sent to VLK Travel in Sihanoukville from smaller agencies in the coastal town last month. VLK then passed them onto CPSTA, a logistics company, who arranged for the package to be taken to Phnom Penh on a Virak Buntham bus on January 22, Ms. Sokhum said.

The passports were then placed in a Virak Buntham office in Daun Penh district, but were stolen by “two scavengers” that night as a security guard napped, she said.

On Monday, 20 representatives of small travel agencies in Sihanoukville met with VLK, which agreed to foot the bill for issuing new documentation, said Keo Sreyrath, the owner of Otres Tour & Travel.
“I already settled it for the clients. I sent them to Phnom Penh to get new passports, and I will pay for all the expenses,” she said, adding that VLK would reimburse her.
VLK representatives declined to comment...

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/tour ... cy-124680/

] but were stolen by “two scavengers” that night as a security guard napped, she said.

There we go,,, that's where the problem starts and finishes. I blame those security guards for not taking their daily dose of chemicals to keep their eyes open and stay awake.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic