MU deli on St 51 in PP

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: MU deli on St 51 in PP

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

It doesn't happen to be your business, does it? Either way, looks alright if the prices are competitive with the local supermarkets such as Thai Huot.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:It doesn't happen to be your business, does it? Either way, looks alright if the prices are competitive with the local supermarkets such as Thai Huot.
Nope I have no involvement whatsoever altho I would like to live in the basement ---- just stumbled upon it one day and went in. If I owned the place I probably wouldn't post pics of my rustic bread roll with bite marks :dm: Told my mates and they all shop there now as the range is excellent and the prices great - I gave some examples from memory early on in the post - and it seems they are adding new stuff each week.

The cheese and cold cuts are amazing but the freezer has some frozen goods at great prices as well. That cheddar for eg is much better than the Irish packaged cheddar for about $4.75 at Pencil for 200 gms. Started buying the 2l fresh full fat milk for $4 as well. A few days ago I spotted 4 fresh leeks long and thin for 85c and fresh green beans 200gm for 55c. Can of Spanish wild caught tuna in olive oil for $3.80 is more expensive than that thai stuff but it is quality.

Haven't been to TH for about 18mths but from memory this place has a greater range.

Anyway - we are all impressed so I am happy to get it out there as I want them to stay in business - in fact on Saturday afternoon there were about 20 customers so word seems to be spreading.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Glad it's in PP, or else the rent money in my pocket right now wouldn't make to the landlord. Thanks for the pics, quite the selection!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Looks great, and very reasonable prices. Will be checking it out in the near future.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

thanks for the great report and pics kgbagent!
we have met btw, and some of us post on your forum.
i hope you will post further submissions here on a regular basis,
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Looks good, great selection! Any Branston Pickle in there?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I'm crying here in Bangkok where prices seem to go up every bloody week. Example, that Italian espresso at $1.95/70 baht would be 250 to over 300 baht at Villa. Did you see any mayonnaise?

Super report, KGB. (I also know you from another forum and we have shared a table sometimes with RDDPP. But the latter was some time back since he has moved back to Oz.)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Went over there today. Staff were really friendly (which I found surprising as in a weird Gavinmacish way, I usually avoid interacting with all-male staff). Top-notch staff though. Good selection of goods and they seem to support some local products as well, which is nice. Only intended on buying a bit of cheese if the prices were alright, but ended up leaving with beers, several different cold cuts and cheeses... We are blessed now when you think about it. I remember when finding stuff like this in town was impossible. The only good bakery was Cambodiana and it wasn't cheap (~$3 from memory?). I'd show up at 18h30 now and then to get the 50% discount when I felt like treating myself as it was the only "good" bread in town. The arrival of all the upscale/upmarket places has made Phnom Penh lose a lot of it's original charm and interesting edge, but it's also nice to find nice stuff at affordable prices. Good cheese, cold cuts and beer, picked up some Eric Kayser bread on the way home. PRetty soon I'll be hanging out at FrenchCham events with Scobienz.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic