Parenting in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Parenting in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

taabarang wrote:"you state, "I do teach them English, not to keep my culture alive but to open doors for them in the future." good idea but does not help them without an education to get them into a good university, which, without an education, their job choices and future are VERY limited."

My wife and I work within the constraints of a very limited budget. We do all that we can, but if they want to study overseas they will have to get a scholarship. It's just how things are.
feel sad for any expat that has kids in SE asa and cant afford to give them the one thing that will help them in their later lives, a good education...
ur basically condemning them to a live of a local. yet they will always question why
If i had a kid and couldn't afford them a good education overseas, i'd move back to my home country where they can get on.

Otherwise ur just being selfish, If u decide the have kids they should come first

BUT thats just me
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Your advice is of no use to me or my family. You haven't sufficient knowledge to pontificate.
I will consider myself a successful father if my children think and act differently than you.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

good for you
I raised my daughter to be brave, loving, storng and independent, PLUS gave a good education to help her along the path to be a successful women
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

There are dangers in sending your child to one of the top intentional schools in Cambodia. They are so sterile and removed from Cambodia that they are like an airport or hospital. Unreal.
"International Mindedness", "Cosmopolitanism", "International Day" is little more than flag waving and the posting of slogans around the school.

Wasn't there research recently that showed that even some NGO workers who would be entitled to having their kids fees paid were choosing to withdraw their kids from Northbridge & co. and we paying themselves to send their kids to schools in their home countries because they feared that Phnom Penh international schools produced little gangsters?

My son is half Khmer, if not more so because he was born here and will be raised here. I want him to be proud of being a Khmer and to understand the reality of his mother's country and to be compassionate and humble.

Yes, I want him to have a good education and I currently send him to the best Kindergarten in Phnom Penh. But the top schools here worry me, they are too far removed.

Too much emphasis placed on secondary schooling IMO, primary is where it counts and parenting and family of course.

I watched a documentary on Gordonstoun School last night: a posh British boarding school. Awe inspiring. But I wouldn't want my son to go there even If I could afford it.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Parenting in Cambodia

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I went to one of the top international schools in Bangkok and the teachers gave less of a fuck than the students did. I also never finished high school, only completed my GCSEs, and I'm now working in a high level management position.

Education is important and it's something I tell my girls every day but you have to find the right school that fits the child. Some learn better in different environments, just because it's expensive does not mean it is a good school.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I agree; My daughter was in the British international school ( supposedly best in Phuket at the time) and it was just not working out so put her in the American international
I never said the most expensive is best ONLY did say give ur kids the best education u can. Its not always about what goes on in class but after as well
My brother Home schooled both his sons, both than went on to graduation at the top of their universities and hold great jobs they love.

A good education does not guarantee a great job/life but it certainly wont hurt
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Couldn't agree more with your last point but it goes both ways. Just because you don't have an education does not mean you will be a failure. If you want to succeed, you will do whatever it takes.

Of course having an education makes it easier but you can make it without one as well.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

cptrelentless wrote, ". The eldest, although half rice and half chips, seems to bear some sort of resentment to her Western heritage..."

I hear that loud and clear. It's a bit of a struggle with her older brother, but basically he really wants to learn but just wants his parents to jump through a few hoops so they realise what a favor he's doing them. This is in reference to our home schooling in English.

They are both no.1 in their grade and my son has been selected to represent his school at the grade 9 level in the national competition starting at the comune (khum) level. We have to home teach because their English is head and shoulders above their teachers with whom we have an excellent rapport and stay in touch with them.

The daughter is rebellious and highly jealous of her brother. Mornings involve touchy negotiations about which one gets to use the shower first. My daughter is trying to deny her Caucasian roots. She will begrudgingly eat a small portion of my foreign cooking while giving a soliloquy in Cambodian about the superiority of mom's Khmer cuisine. Spaghetti
, if cooked sweet and spicy however appears to be acceptable. Also she refuses to speak English even though she speaks it fluently and effortlessly. I'll continue tomorrow. Just one of the bells you rung Mr. relentless.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

They are all bad signs taa, she is showing you complete disrespect. I would not allow my daughters to act that way.

Mine respect both my western culture and my ex wife's Khmer culture, in fact they embrace having both. If I saw them disrespecting their mother or her / their culture I would tell them that is unacceptable and she does the same in return to me.

What do you think is causing it? There must be a reason why she acts that way.
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

I suspect it's to do with her school peers and other people. Cambodians can be very...insidious. They'll probably tease her about being half caste or korn kat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic