More Country Speak

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: More Country Speak

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote:
thelost wrote:
Username Taken wrote: That seems to be my name at home. "Ah K'chah!" :whip:
Haha, K'chah, that's funny. Did you know that you can add the "Ka" to anyone's name? Or you can say "Ah K' (Insert name) "
Yes I know.

I remember a Khmer comedy skit a few months back where the two guys were trying to out-do each other with name calling. Referring to each other as 'Ah K'<made up word>.

"Ah K,ngang nong!"
"Ah K'dunga dang!"
etc.

At least I think they were made up words. The audience were in tears of laughter (as they often are).
yeah adding the K' sound before a word adds more emphasis to it
and is usually put before an adjective
for example
Chaaa - Old... K'chaa - Too Old
Mab - Fat.... K'mab - Too Fat
Svet - Skinny.... K'svet - Too Skinny
etc, etc

cant say ive ever heard it said in front of names before.... Ah for sure as its a teasing insult to put in front of someones name

if a youngster called me Ah K'chaa id possibly see it more as a disrespectful insult, someone the same age more of a teasing remark, but yeah kids shouldnt really be saying that to ya, in england we see it as them being very "Cheeky" lol

អា
used preceding nouns or noun phrases giving them a pejorative, derogatory or very familiar meaning. It is commonly used in addressing close friends, persons regarded as inferiors, or young boys. It can also be used before the name of something with which one is annoyed; when preceding the name of a girl, it conveys a notion of endearment; when preceding adjectives, it forms nouns with a notion of disapproval or familiarity.

cheeky
adjective BRITISH
showing a lack of respect or politeness in a way that is amusing or appealing.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

@ Username Taken

I can't find it funny, I mean, well maybe because I'm not a native Khmer speaker. It's kind of like whoever can roast each other the most get the most laughter.
Or something.

@Jamie Lambo

Yep, I got ya. British English and Australian English are not much different. Someone who is being a cheeky arse will get the boot.

Try មី / Mee , I've been told it's more hurtful against women though you can use it with boys too.

So basically it's about how close we're to that person and the age difference or social class.

I have cousins called A K'mab (he was fat af when he was young) and the other is called "A Kdaa" which is ខ្ដា = ខា តា (grandfather because he act old when he was young)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thelost wrote:@ Username Taken

I can't find it funny, I mean, well maybe because I'm not a native Khmer speaker. It's kind of like whoever can roast each other the most get the most laughter.
Or something.

@Jamie Lambo

Yep, I got ya. British English and Australian English are not much different. Someone who is being a cheeky arse will get the boot.

Try មី / Mee , I've been told it's more hurtful against women though you can use it with boys too.

So basically it's about how close we're to that person and the age difference or social class.

I have cousins called A K'mab (he was fat af when he was young) and the other is called "A Kdaa" which is ខ្ដា = ខា តា (grandfather because he act old when he was young)
yeah i often use Mee (girls name) in reply to them calling me Ah Jamie, again if its someone 5 years younger, i dont mind, im Loplop after all, but when its someone im not too familiar with or one of the young 17 year old girls down the square saying it, who usually use more emphasis, i see it as more cheeky and that they should show more respect, they think because you a barrang that you know know the meaning, but when i reply with mee (whoever) they often looked a bit shocked and tone it down

i remember recently i did use the word Mee to a girl who i was more familiar with in reply to Ah Jamie, and she told me that i shouldnt really say that to her because its more insulting than the male form, because we were friends and of similar age her saying it is more playful where as Mee doesnt really have the playful notion
i think its maybe because the Ah also has the cute/endearment side tagged to it where as Mee doesnt
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

Haha, you're not loplop, well at least to me, not really. Some teenagers can be disrespectful. I guess it's not much different to the teenagers in here (Australia).

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working so far. when i was there, i'm borotes ​បរទេស not local because of the way i look, talk, whatever they think i am so some people can be a bit disrespectful to me, assuming i don't know shit.
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

jamie_lambo wrote: i remember recently i did use the word Mee to a girl who i was more familiar with in reply to Ah Jamie, and she told me that i shouldnt really say that to her because its more insulting than the male form, because we were friends and of similar age her saying it is more playful where as Mee doesnt really have the playful notion
i think its maybe because the Ah also has the cute/endearment side tagged to it where as Mee doesnt
You're right. I did that to my wife calling her mee, and she slapped me. well not that hard, but you get the idea. I still do it sometimes just to annoy her anyway.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thelost wrote:Haha, you're not loplop, well at least to me, not really. Some teenagers can be disrespectful. I guess it's not much different to the teenagers in here (Australia).

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working so far. when i was there, i'm borotes ​បរទេស not local because of the way i look, talk, whatever they think i am so some people can be a bit disrespectful to me, assuming i don't know shit.
right now im sober... after a few beers i become loploplambo :plus1:
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

i've always wondered what is the difference between loplop and chakuat?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thelost wrote:i've always wondered what is the difference between loplop and chakuat?
amongst friends you can use them both pretty much interchangeably

i think Lop Lop has a more Stupid/Crazy link
and Chkuat has a more Mental/Crazy link

ill check the dictionary:

Lop
ឡប់ ( v ) [lɑp] - detail »
to lose one's head, be completely confused; to confuse
Lop Lop
ឡប់ៗ ( adj ) [lɑp - lɑp] - detail »
to be absent minded, forgetful; (emotionally) troubled, confused, uncertain

ឆ្កួត ( adj ) [ckuət]
to be crazy, insane; drunk, intoxicated; foolish; rabid; in a frenzy; to have a passion for, be crazy about.
ឆ្កួត ( n ) [ckuət] -
insanity, mental illness; rabies

so yeah first ones more to do with stupididity and the other is to do with being more crazy

and dont forget the more modern បែកស្លុយ - Bek Sloy... which loosely translates to "Fucked up in the Head" lol
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

Thanks, now i understand it more. So basically it's like if i want to say someone's absented minded or stupid, that's loplop.
If someone really done a fucked up shit, then that's chakuat.

now..Bek Sloy...that's definitely a new word for me. Gotta ask the wife but I believe what you mean about the "fucked up in the head" translation.

by the way jamie, do you have a tutor? I read somewhere in the forum in the old thread that samoth said you're studying with a tutor. did it helped?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

thelost wrote:Thanks, now i understand it more. So basically it's like if i want to say someone's absented minded or stupid, that's loplop.
If someone really done a fucked up shit, then that's chakuat.

now..Bek Sloy...that's definitely a new word for me. Gotta ask the wife but I believe what you mean about the "fucked up in the head" translation.

by the way jamie, do you have a tutor? I read somewhere in the forum in the old thread that samoth said you're studying with a tutor. did it helped?
yeah Bek Sloy has a big reference to dancing... Dancing Bek Sloy... dancing all crazy like your fucked in the head... its the new style of "style" dancing they do to the "funky" music
ill post some examples
because depending whether you spend any time in the local khmer clubs you might not of seen/heard/know about all this....

this is the older "Style Dancing" to the Funky music...
which has a more side to side hips movements

and this is the newer "Bek Sloy" that came about last year...
which is more of a snakeish headbanging motions

i love it all tbh :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic