Immigration Police In Sihanoukville Arrested a Turkish Man, Mehmet Yilmaz, For Overstaying Cambodian Visa

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Immigration Police In Sihanoukville Arrested a Turkish Man, Mehmet Yilmaz, For Overstaying Cambodian Visa

Post by General Mackevili »

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: Immigration Police In Sihanoukville Arrested a Turkish Man, Mehmet Yilmaz, For Overstaying Cambodian Visa

Post by Raybull »

Fourkinnel wrote:If it's one month , kinda reminds me of UK traffic warden standing by the meter ready to slap a fine on you when clock go's past one minute. Nothing better for the police to do?
One month is plenty for people to remember that they forgot, or scrounge a few bucks to pay for, their renewal IMO. They're immigration police, it's their bloody job to round up people who commit immigration offences. I'd guess 99% of the people who haven't renewed within one month of overstay have no intention of ever doing so. So good riddance to them.
The_Notorious_N.E.D.
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by The_Notorious_N.E.D. »

They generally don't ever arrest anyone for an overstayed visa even when they become aware of it somehow. They just wait until you're trying to leave and then you either pay up or you get to spend some time in immigration detention before being deported and blacklisted.

This person must have been an undesirable or involved in other illegal activities for the police to have bothered doing this. In fact, he would have had to have been suspected of something more serious in order for the police to be searching his residence in the first place. Perhaps part of the 2017 crackdown on foreign drug offenders that seems to be going on.

And arresting him for this is especially strange since the visa had just expired recently. I've known people who were overstayed in Cambodia for many years at different points. I've overstayed myself before for a few months. That cost me $400 in fines to fix but it wasn't a big deal aside from that and there was never any question of me being arrested or banned or anything punitive whatsoever. I just paid the fine and got a new visa once my finances had improved, no big deal. Now of course I'm smarter about it. If my visa is expiring and I don't have the cash to extend it on hand, I simply bring it to a travel agency and have them get me a year extension and say that I'll pay when I pick it up. Maybe it takes me an extra couple of weeks or a month to come fetch it, right? But I'm not overstaying and accumulating fines because they renewed it in time. There are some travel agencies who are so used to people doing this now they just tack on a $10 - $20 per month late pickup fee for visas haha.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic