Phnom Penh to Koh Chang

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Popus
Tourist

Phnom Penh to Koh Chang

Post by Popus »

Dear Friends,
On December 2nd I am planning to travel from Phnom Penh to Koh Chang, but... As I checked on camboticket for bus options the ones that are available are:
- in the morning, so I would need to get up early (I am arriving just a day before) and won't spend more time on exploring PP, operated by Virak Buntham,
- in the evening, sleeping bus which would be perfectly fine, but it's operated by Gold VIP and it has terrible opinions on the internet - like it's a scam - that you won't be transfered to the final destination and you swap bus for 2-3 times.

It seems that other option would be to get a taxi or bus to Koh Kong (Cham Yeam border), stay there (border closes at 8PM) overnight, walk through the border on your own feet and get some transport to Trat just after waling into Thailand.

We are traveling in a group of 4, so getting a taxi seems like a good option.

What can you recommend in terms of trustworthy, worry free way of getting to Koh Chang? In other words: do you have any expierence with travelling that route and you can share it with me? :)

Any help appreciated!
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Re: Phnom Penh to Koh Chang

Post by lurcio »

Get a taxi PP-Cham Yeam border - it will drop you at the Cambodian immigration post. 5 mins to get your exit stamp - this border is rarely busy except at around 1pm-1.30pm when the 4 buses arrive from Sihanoukville. Walk 200m thru to Thai immigration. Take your own pen to fill in forms. Then walk 100m more and there are minibuses to Trat bus station that leave when full (120 Bt per person), normally every 30 mins or so. They cover the 100 kms in an hour and 5 mins. The road is good and the speed can be scary although they seem to have been told to slow down a little in the last couple of years (no more tires squeals cornering at 120+km/hr). At Trat bus station hire a private songthaew (pickup with a couple of rows of seats) to the pier (20 kms) or just queue up for the regular service (Koh Chang sign in English) but you may end up with numerous rucksacks piled up on you.

Change USD into Baht in PP at the money changers as you will get a better rate than in Thailand although there is an ATM as you cross over the border on the right hand side if you need it.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I went there recently. Stayed in KK overnight. All the buses leave KK around 1pm-2pm (wasting my time), so I took a tuktuk to the border early in the morning. From the border I waited 5 minutes for a minivan to Trat. From Trat I took one of those pickup trucks to the docks, then took the ferry. Motorbike rentals right at the docks on the island so rented a bike (was going to anyways) and went my hotel. Ended up slightly cheaper than the bus and not that complicated. Return involved waiting a bit at the Trat bus station for the minivan to be full.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

When I went there, someone told me that the border close at 10pm so don't worry if we might miss the taxi. Zip line was great ,maybe 1100bath, it opens at 9am,11am and 2 pm.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Popus
Tourist

Post by Popus »

Thanks for reply!

At this moment we are into reaching KK in the evening, crossing the border next day.

Can you pls let me know which taxis (company) you have used and how much time should I reserve to reach KK/CY (5-6 hrs)?

Any recommendations for choosing a place to stay in KK (location or specific hotel)?

@lurcio Hmm, that USD/THB conversion, I will check it. We are having short layover in Bangkok (few hours) before heading to
Siem Reap (our stop before PP), so will be able to check current conversion rate at Thailand.

@prahkeitouj I got little confused: do you mean that the border get reopen or we might just stuck there in line?

Off topic: if you just spend one day in PP - what would you do/visit?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

CY? I've always ridden my bike up, but I know Vireak Buntham do two minivans per day to KK. As for a place in KK, just get any room as they're all pretty much the same. Good deals on Koh Chang though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I meant they close at 10pm. You have to take tuk tuk or taxi to border and then cross the border ,you need to take taxi to Trat and take any taxi to Koh Chang to take the ferry. I recommend you if you rent a bike, you need to fill gasoline to avoid it run out off it because the road up and down( mountainous area). And not many gass stations.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
sorinceo
Tourist

Post by sorinceo »

off topic...cheap flights to bangkok ??? some details please...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic