Paying for apartment

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Re: Paying for apartment

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Yeah I understand the one month deposit and obviously paying for your rent a month in advance.

In Thailand I think 2 rent + 1 deposit is normal and they try to screw you.

I'd just rather be screwed one month rather than 2 ha.

In Cambodia I've never paid deposit in SHK (2times) and have paid one small deposit in Siem Reap.

That is why I was confused PP seemed to be a little West-like.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

In my brand new shv appartements that come with quality furniture and curtains, 55 or 60" tv etc., I ask for 3 months deposit. Even so it barely covers for all the fittings and equipments.
Just saying.
LionsLeftTesticle
Expatriate
San Marino

Post by LionsLeftTesticle »

Tbf nobody mentioned anything about curtains.

But seriously, if you actually own a place I agree with trying to get as much as you can.

And if you don't, try to get away with as little as you can.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

I think 1/2/3 months is fair for unfurnished/furnished/top
End furnished, with a provision that only one months rent is kept if the lease is broken yet the place is left in standard condition.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Raybull wrote:I think 1/2/3 months is fair for unfurnished/furnished/top
End furnished, with a provision that only one months rent is kept if the lease is broken yet the place is left in standard condition.

I would, on recommendations of another poster, trust him with a my precious fan, but I'm not sure I would trust him that far when it comes to hard currency.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

juansweetpotato wrote:
Raybull wrote:I think 1/2/3 months is fair for unfurnished/furnished/top

I would, on recommendations of another poster, trust him with a my precious fan, but I'm not sure I would trust him that far when it comes to hard currency.
to be fair, his apartments are of top spec, and all tenants that have recently moved in will be the first occupants, they must be worth it as all rooms went within 2 weeks

my personal experiences here in SHV have been 1 month up front + 1 month deposit, i get the deposit back when i leave minus the latest bills

my new apartment, no deposit
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic