A good starting point? (Coming to Cambodia to teach English)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A good starting point? (Coming to Cambodia to teach English)

Post by John Bingham »

juansweetpotato wrote:Room measurements were 4 x 4 mtrs. with bathroom 2.5 x 1m, ceiling height 3 m. Place to put an AC if you wanted. You should get out more Bingham, And stop deriding people (foreign and Khmer) for living in perfectly acceptable places. Most are middle class Khmer kids. I found it a bit small, but I prefer an apartment. Each to his own.

Well, just for comparison my place is not particularly great, but it's 68 M2. This does not including the two bathrooms ( together about 6 M2) and balcony (which is about 20 M2), or the internal stairs, private entrance/parking. The ceiling is between 2.5 and maybe 5 meters high.
It's $130 a month. I think that's a better deal than a 16 M2 room for $50 a month. I wasn't deriding anyone, I think it's fair enough to point out that the sort of room a student or garment worker lives in may not be suitable for everyone. As for getting out more, I already pointed out that there is a block of $50 rooms just behind my place.
Russeo Keo is 10-15 mins on a moto. Troll. I used to make it down to Tuol Tumpung in under 30 min in morning rush hour. I'll show you which roads to take and show Bingham around town .
Russei Keo district starts just after the Chruoy Changva Bridge so it would certainly be possible to get to the center city within 10-15 minutes most of the time. Chruoy Changva is no longer part of Russei Keo district. As for showing me around town, that made me laugh.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

"5 meters high", do you lodge out in the open? Sorry, couldn't help it. :thumb:
John Bingham wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:Room measurements were 4 x 4 mtrs. with bathroom 2.5 x 1m, ceiling height 3 m. Place to put an AC if you wanted. You should get out more Bingham, And stop deriding people (foreign and Khmer) for living in perfectly acceptable places. Most are middle class Khmer kids. I found it a bit small, but I prefer an apartment. Each to his own.

Well, just for comparison my place is not particularly great, but it's 68 M2. This does not including the two bathrooms ( together about 6 M2) and balcony (which is about 20 M2), or the internal stairs, private entrance/parking. The ceiling is between 2.5 and maybe 5 meters high.
It's $130 a month. I think that's a better deal than a 16 M2 room for $50 a month. I wasn't deriding anyone, I think it's fair enough to point out that the sort of room a student or garment worker lives in may not be suitable for everyone. As for getting out more, I already pointed out that there is a block of $50 rooms just behind my place.
Russeo Keo is 10-15 mins on a moto. Troll. I used to make it down to Tuol Tumpung in under 30 min in morning rush hour. I'll show you which roads to take and show Bingham around town .
Russei Keo district starts just after the Chruoy Changva Bridge so it would certainly be possible to get to the center city within 10-15 minutes most of the time. Chruoy Changva is no longer part of Russei Keo district. As for showing me around town, that made me laugh.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

OKW wrote:"5 meters high", do you lodge out in the open? Sorry, couldn't help it.
That's a normal height for a ceiling in a shophouse room with a mezzanine.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Center of Russeo Keo is 10-15 mins on a moto. Troll. I used to make it down to Tuol Tumpung in 30 min in morning rush hour. I'll show you which roads to take and show Bingham around town.

2000riel. Lithuania is the among the fastest growing economies in the EU. Yes, they have the Euro.
It's nice that people can comfortably live in 16sqm rooms, but I think it's a stretch to call them middle class, unless you were saying their parents are middle class maybe. Plenty of affordable unfirnished new rooms in PP and SR for 4x4/5m for 40-60$, although in SHV the new builds are priced more around the 60-80$ as the foreigners have cornered and pushed up the prices of the old neglected units from 30 to 50$ So the new units are priced higher. :stir: :horse:
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

yes, I was thinking of ceiling as in cloud layer/overcast. Just having a bit of fun here JB, while otherwise being bored back in ole Europe. Hope to be back soon. :thumb: Happy New year to all.
John Bingham wrote:
OKW wrote:"5 meters high", do you lodge out in the open? Sorry, couldn't help it.
That's a normal height for a ceiling in a shophouse room with a mezzanine.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Raybull wrote:

Center of Russeo Keo is 10-15 mins on a moto. Troll. I used to make it down to Tuol Tumpung in 30 min in morning rush hour. I'll show you which roads to take and show Bingham around town.

2000riel. Lithuania is the among the fastest growing economies in the EU. Yes, they have the Euro.
It's nice that people can comfortably live in 16sqm rooms, but I think it's a stretch to call them middle class, unless you were saying their parents are middle class maybe. Plenty of affordable unfirnished new rooms in PP and SR for 4x4/5m for 40-60$, although in SHV the new builds are priced more around the 60-80$ as the foreigners have cornered and pushed up the prices of the old neglected units from 30 to 50$ So the new units are priced higher. :stir: :horse:

Most guest-house rooms are around that size or even smaller for over $230 pm, and you can cook in them. Sorry for stating the f'in obvious. Garment workers should be paying a lot less, but this is Cambodia. You will find that many of them share one room. Where I stayed in RK they were living alone. That's middle class.

Also, I'm surprised to hear that in the last 2 years prices have risen in SNVL for rooms and apartments. As they were building so many they were getting cheaper and cheaper before that. Supply and demand.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

John Bingham wrote:[
It would take a lot less time if it wasn't morning rush hour, and I wasn't deep in the heart of Russei Keo. As I posted already.
Incidentally, if anyone wants to see PP traffic madness at its finest, they should go to the Tuol Sangke pagoda at around 7:30 am
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Phnom ... 8?hl=en-US
Every class of person and vehicle is to be found trying to get through a two-way narrow gap apprx 6 meters wide, which has a fairly large intersection just on one of its exits and another main street v-ing off at the same corner. Of course you get Tuk Tuks parking there and food sellers stands so as to make it even narrower Bloody marvelous. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

It sounds like you could do with a laugh. P
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

You make a lot of valid points, but living alone in a 4x4m room is hardly middle class...it's still well in the spectrum of lower class. Middle class Khmers own their own home/land and a 5-30k$ car, a couple motos for the kids, and draw in salaries in 500-2000$ range; this would cover the low to upper middle class IMO. Owning a moto and renting a cheap room doesn't cut it nowadays, even if that covers the majority of city dwelling locals. Don't expect a bell curve for class distribution in Cambodia.
Just because the World Bank says earning 150$/month is middle class doesn't make it so...when you have to spend a days wage to change a tube on your bike, it kind if changes the perception of what middle class should be!
If that means a good portion of the foreign expats are part of the lower class, then so be it. Times are a changing...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Raybull wrote:Middle class Khmers own their own home/land and a 5-30k$ car, a couple motos for the kids, and draw in salaries in 500-2000$ range; this would cover the low to upper middle class IMO.
I'd agree. I think he meant that there are middle-class Cambodians studying in the capital who live in cheap digs. That's not exactly a big revelation to me though. And besides all that, fuck living anywhere where you can't swing a cat. 8-)
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

John Bingham wrote:
Raybull wrote:Middle class Khmers own their own home/land and a 5-30k$ car, a couple motos for the kids, and draw in salaries in 500-2000$ range; this would cover the low to upper middle class IMO.
I'd agree. I think he meant that there are middle-class Cambodians studying in the capital who live in cheap digs. That's not exactly a big revelation to me though. And besides all that, fuck living anywhere where you can't swing a cat. 8-)
I'm fairly certain he said factory workers living alone are middle class.
Maybe that's why so many cats have short tails, smaller radius...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic