There's a New World's Longest Flight

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: There's a New World's Longest Flight

Post by hanno »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:ive done Beijing > London and Kuala Lumpur > London before both around the 12-14 hour mark, 17hours would be a test
I have flown London - Beijing and it was about 11 hours. I have done many HCMC - Paris flights (13.5 hours) and I do not think I could last another 3.5 hours...
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

June 2014 Houston Texass to Singapore was 23 hrs via Singapore Air.
With proper meds, face mask to catch drool, night shade for eyes, neck pillow, loose fitting clothing, comfy foot wear, music, kindle, toiletries, only couple glasses wine makes it bearable. Barely! :beer3:

http://www.prokerala.com/travel/flight- ... singapore/
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Sorry! My memory failed. We stopped in Moscow. The flight time is correct but not non-stop.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

If they still fitted out planes like this, 17 hours would be a doddle...
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:tbh ive had longer bus journeys, at least you have the inflight entertainment, free alcohol, food, decent toilets and can go for a walk about,
some of the long bus journeys have been hell

hope it was worth it. don't think I would ever manage it.
I have trouble riding the bus from PP to snooky!

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

Luigi wrote:Sorry! My memory failed. We stopped in Moscow. The flight time is correct but not non-stop.

How is the Moscow airport BTW?
I've thought about going that route a time or 2 if flying from euro to SEA.
Just wondering if it has some decent eats/drinks or places to stretch out a bit?
other things?

cheers

A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bertros wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:tbh ive had longer bus journeys, at least you have the inflight entertainment, free alcohol, food, decent toilets and can go for a walk about,
some of the long bus journeys have been hell

hope it was worth it. don't think I would ever manage it.
I have trouble riding the bus from PP to snooky!

cheers

longest trips on busses i had was from my apartment in SHV to my home in Hua Hin, took 20-24hours in total inc changeovers
used to do it back and forth once a month,
its no wonder i fly everywhere now
only bus i take now is from PP>SHV/SHV>PP can do it in 4 hours if you miss the rush hour traffic either end, otherwise it can take 6 %)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

ExPenhMan wrote:Pussies! My regular flight is 15-15.5 hours non-stop, and that doesn't even get me to SEA: Either Toronto to Hong Kong or Toronto to Taipei. It feels like it's never going to end. Then you look at your watch and it's only been 11 hours, you want to jump out of the jet. Then I upgraded to Premium Economy on the EVA flight to Taipei. That helped
At last count, I believe I'm at nearly 60 flights of those two segments, and nearly a 100 if all NA destinations are included (from TPE/HKG), although the majority in business class. If you have any star alliance mileage account, you may want to look into booking B/Y full economy fares on EVA (which are ridicousky cheap relative to competitors, ~1400$ vs 2500-3000$) and upgrading to business class, usually for 25-30k miles per segment. This will put you in Royal Laurel class sipping either Dom, Krug or La grande dame in a full lay flat. :beer3:
Slightly off topic but...
Part of the reason for nearly half of the flights...during the financial meltdown in early '09, while sipping Leo in a hammock in Northern Thai, I stumbled upon AC offering SFO/LAX-YYZ-HKG-YVR-SFO/LAX returns for 530$ In economy with no stay requirements on the cheapest fares. At the time these cheapest fares provided full mileage and status qualifications, and free upgrades to business with upgrade certificates given out as various status levels are reached. I devised a method to do 20 direct turn around roundtrips consecutively, with a few random overnights in YVR (so as to be able to pick mailed upgrade certificates) and a couple in SFO/LAX due to schedule availability. Initially, I had low status so flew in economy the first three trips, but had lounge access everywhere, and then reached top tier status but the paper upgrade certs usually took a couple weeks to receive by mail. However, due a volcanic eruption in Iceland, many flights were diverted to HKG, and since I had reached top status, I was continuously upgraded to business class as they filled up economy with the diverted passengers. By then I had received my certs and upgraded every single flight for the next 10 or so roundtrips, terminating a nearly fifty day non stop pacific flying adventure. Needless to say my liver was swollen, I had eaten more cheese than I could imagine, and I had gained nearly 10kg!

All in all I spent around 16000$ on airfares that year and the next including a trips to Hawaii, Europe, Mexico and Asia, (all upgraded to business as I was flush with certificates and had top status the subsequent year as well). After 30 or so international trips, only three in economy although all on bought cheap economy fares, I was left with well over a million Aeroplan airmile points. (The airline then started gutting the program in part due to my escapades). I then proceeded to book on points 3 business and 9 first class trips around the worlds trips, starting in late 2010 until 2015 (by that time the redemption rates had skyrocketed), flying nearly every Star Alliance airline in privates suites multiple times. Highlights included the Swiss FC, Thai leased Jet Air suites, ANA Quattro, and Singapore suites, among many others, not to mention the FRA, ZUC, TG, and SIN first class lounges and getting chauffeured to flights in luxury cars. I loosely kept prices for all my trips and estimated that I had flown over 500000$ worth of flights for the initial outlay of about 16000$ (which included many purposeful trips).

Needless to say, due to my suspicious itinerary of those 20 HKG direct turnarounds, I was sent for secondary screening every single time transiting in YZZ as they never let me through the transit desk and sent me down to customs. Thankfully not the case in YVR, and strangely only once did I get secondary while pre clearing USA customs (I dared not apply for a Nexus card).
Last edited by Raybull on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Bertros wrote:
Luigi wrote:Sorry! My memory failed. We stopped in Moscow. The flight time is correct but not non-stop.

How is the Moscow airport BTW?
I've thought about going that route a time or 2 if flying from euro to SEA.
Just wondering if it has some decent eats/drinks or places to stretch out a bit?
other things?

cheers

Sorry Bertros, I have little memory of DME. Obviously eh!
We were there only to on/off & security check.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

ExPenhMan wrote:Pussies! My regular flight is 15-15.5 hours non-stop, and that doesn't even get me to SEA: Either Toronto to Hong Kong or Toronto to Taipei. It feels like it's never going to end. Then you look at your watch and it's only been 11 hours, you want to jump out of the jet. Then I upgraded to Premium Economy on the EVA flight to Taipei. That helped some.

Before, I tried to split flights up better. Either to Incheon or Narita from YYZ. Roughly meaning 12-13 hours and then 5ish to Bangkok. But . . .

17 hours? F*ck that!
A couple other pointers which might help if you book longer term stay flights ie. 3 or 6 months plus in SEA...Korean Air (which I've just started flying this year, my first economy flight since '08 so hard to judge but they also have great business/first class availability on points if you fly them often) have very generous stay lengths such that the prices for economy flights don't rise much even up to a year length ticket, whereas the EVA flights will get bumped from around 1200$ to 1500$ to around 1900$ in you stay longer than 3/6 months. Also, as it relates to the previous sentence, and as you may have discovered booking premium economy class, Eva Air PE will be priced only a couple hundred more than economy if you book tickets with a duration more than 6 months. Along with the Y/B deal I mentioned in my earlier post you should never have to pay, for up to a year long trip, you shouldn't have to pay more than around 1200$ In economy, 1900$ in PE, and if booking Y/B economy fares at around 1700$ Plus adding 50-60k points to upgrade the Pacific segment to business. The latter is somewhat tricky since if your ticket destination is not TPE, but another SEA destination transiting Taipei, the ticket will be booked as a through fare and not eligible for upgrade. You must find a TA that will book seperate the segments upon booking. There's some info on flyer talk If it ever interests you. (Local currency prices)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic