Important info on Thai visa exempt entries

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Important info on Thai visa exempt entries

Post by phuketrichard »

Am sure it will affect more than a few here but its been a long time coming. so far ONLY affect sland crossings.
No more monthly weekend shopping trips to LOS

Land Borders Set To Limit Visa Exempt Entries To Two Per Year
From December 31st immigration checkpoints at land border crossings into Thailand will only allow visitors to enter the Kingdom on a visa exemption stamp twice in a calendar year, bringing an end to the much used loophole of staying in the country by doing back to back border hops.

Citizens of certain countries, including Malaysia, are exempt from the new rules that have been rubber-stamped to prevent foreigners using and abusing the system intended for use by genuine tourists.

....After an unspecified number of entries into Thailand using visa exemptions the system would alert the immigration official to issue nothing more then a warning to the passport holder this would be their last entry on a visa exemption and they should obtain a visa issued at an embassy or consulate in future.

The new rules will have zero impact on tourism and affect only those living here long term without the means to obtain a suitable visa solution – and there are plenty of options.

https://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/th ... -per-year/
NOTE till Feb 28th, 60day thai visas are FREE :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Re: Important info on Thai visa exempt entries

Post by lurcio »

Bit of a bitch if you live in Koh Kong and like to do your shopping at Trat Tesco Lotus.
Citizens of certain countries, including Malaysia, are exempt from the new rules
I wonder if being a resident in Cambodia will qualify for an exemption?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cambodia/Laos Nationals get visa free entry exempt stamps for 15 day stay, unlmited
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

^ Yeah, but I'm thinking about the barang who have a 1-year Cambodian visa and are officially residents of Cambodia. Sounds from the article that the border guards will have some leeway as to when they warn you that it is your last visa-free entry so if they see you regularly visit 10 times a year but only for a day or so they might exercise some discretion.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

lurcio wrote:^ Yeah, but I'm thinking about the barang who have a 1-year Cambodian visa and are officially residents of Cambodia. Sounds from the article that the border guards will have some leeway as to when they warn you that it is your last visa-free entry so if they see you regularly visit 10 times a year but only for a day or so they might exercise some discretion.
yeah thats an interesting point im guessing there could be some foreigners that require require regular business trips to Thailand as well
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

lurcio wrote:^ Yeah, but I'm thinking about the barang who have a 1-year Cambodian visa and are officially residents of Cambodia. Sounds from the article that the border guards will have some leeway as to when they warn you that it is your last visa-free entry so if they see you regularly visit 10 times a year but only for a day or so they might exercise some discretion.
having a one year visa does not make u a resident; (officially lol )
If ur holding a western passport.... expect to get 2 visa exempt entries by land, no more, no less/year
want visit more?? fly in or get a visa
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Post by lurcio »

phuketrichard wrote:
Yes it does as far as the Cambodian taxman and banks are concerned anyway. I pay tax at the Resident rate (6%) not the Non-Resident rate (15%).
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

nothing to get spooled up about, it will change to something new, or previous anytime. With Thailand you got to make do with what it is today. Twenty years in and out of Saudi Arabia for instance and I never saw a change. Appears to work.
phuketrichard wrote:
If ur holding a western passport.... expect to get 2 visa exempt entries by land, no more, no less/year
want visit more?? fly in or get a visa
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Since I couldn't care less about Thailand expats visa runners, all I can say is that it sounds like a very bad news for Koh Kong residents and for Jamie :mrgreen:

BTW Richard, the 6 months old law on foreign private cars entrance restrictions you informed us about is yet to be enforced at all (for Cambodia at least).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

are u saying u have driven a Cambodian tagged car into Thailand recently? Which border?
I just posted what i read, it has stopped the Chinese driving down so thats a good thing
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic