Should I return to Kampuchea?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jacket
Expatriate
Austria

Should I return to Kampuchea?

Post by Jacket »

Ahoi!

I've been thinking about coming back to Cambodia. I left Cambodia a year ago and I can't take it anymore, life here is more akin to living
in a cage than anything else and it's truly maddening. Right now I'm not sure whether I should pick another country to migrate to or come
back to what I'm already familiar with. Ecuador, Myanmar, Bulgaria and China are some of my other options,
but seeing how I am already fairly familiar with Cambodia and quite like the country it is quite tempting to come back to what I've grown
fond of.

In the two years that I already spent in Phnom Penh, I taught English at a couple of different schools and enjoyed it. Great working hours,
comparatively good pay and I generally like working with kids/teenagers, so it seems like a gig that's cut out for me (except for the fact
that my only qualification for teaching is a TESOL). But I am wondering, what else can a barang in his mid twenties without a degree do
to make a living? I'm looking for jobs that pay at the very least 600-700 dollars per month. Hope you guys have some ideas.

:please:
Bei der Weiterbildung; in der Todeszone.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Should I return to Kampuchea?

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Many other options besides teaching. Since you're only on your mid twenties, why not take the time now to get a degree in something marketable. Not necessarily a university degree, but something you can use at home and abroad.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Stay home for a while, follow the above advice, and be sure to save as much money as you can before relocating so that you have a safety net (minimum 6 months living expenses).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

take up a usable trade or occupation and get GOOD at it than move on
Teaching TeFL is truly a dead end -go nowhere job.
Anything to do with the medical profession/Tech sector will pay off ten fold
so that you have a safety net (minimum 6 months living expenses).
so dont come without at LEAST $US6,000 :beer3:

PS; forget Burma/China unless you have degrees
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
OKW
Expatriate
Angola

Post by OKW »

Jacket wrote:Ahoi!

I've been thinking about coming back to Cambodia. I left Cambodia a year ago and I can't take it anymore, life here is more akin to living
in a cage than anything else and it's truly maddening. Right now I'm not sure whether I should pick another country to migrate to or come
back to what I'm already familiar with. Ecuador, Myanmar, Bulgaria and China are some of my other options,
but seeing how I am already fairly familiar with Cambodia and quite like the country it is quite tempting to come back to what I've grown
fond of.

In the two years that I already spent in Phnom Penh, I taught English at a couple of different schools and enjoyed it. Great working hours,
comparatively good pay and I generally like working with kids/teenagers, so it seems like a gig that's cut out for me (except for the fact
that my only qualification for teaching is a TESOL). But I am wondering, what else can a barang in his mid twenties without a degree do
to make a living? I'm looking for jobs that pay at the very least 600-700 dollars per month. Hope you guys have some ideas.

:please:
Cambodia is great, Equador would be next. The rest on your list I would skip with what you have. Myanmar rent is really high, along with few other drawbacks. Bulgaria is cool, but really not good for wages, and you have the European winter to deal with. China, done it, just not my thing.
Equador has cold temps as well, but you can always escape that going into the coastal region. It is friendly, reasonably safe and cheap. The food is good. Work, as a foreigner other than teaching, I doubt. I am not a teacher, but I meet them everywhere, wages are similar to Cambodia. Good luck choosing.
jimsocks
Expatriate

Post by jimsocks »

think about taking some online classes too bro. getting a bachelor's opens up a lot of countries for tefl teachers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic