Options for renewing visas

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Options for renewing visas

Post by timmydownawell »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: if i do end up working
what are the options about changing the extension?
like can you get one cancelled and then buy a different extension?
as 6/12 month extensions are multi entry so just doing a border run wont cancel the visa
That's a good point. You would probably have to do border run on the expiry date to change it. Or go to immigration and cancel and get a new one as you said? I bet even they haven't thought it through.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

timmydownawell wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: if i do end up working
what are the options about changing the extension?
like can you get one cancelled and then buy a different extension?
as 6/12 month extensions are multi entry so just doing a border run wont cancel the visa
That's a good point. You would probably have to do border run on the expiry date to change it. Or go to immigration and cancel and get a new one as you said? I bet even they haven't thought it through.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Stop thinking about it all so much...just go with the flow.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

An up to date update - I just renewed my visa. Got it back today. No extra questions,expense, hassles,NO extra shit at all.
Literally NOTHING changed. I gave my passport to my travel agent on Wednesday, picked it up today.
This is a bit like the work permit scare I think.
Agree 100% with PSD Kiwi - stop fukn trying to make out things are harder than they actually are. Just go with the fukn flow. You'll soon find out if things have changed when you actually have to deal with them yourself instead of having to ask advice from strangers on a forum :beer2:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Hotdigr wrote:An up to date update - I just renewed my visa. Got it back today. No extra questions,expense, hassles,NO extra shit at all.
Literally NOTHING changed. I gave my passport to my travel agent on Wednesday, picked it up today.
This is a bit like the work permit scare I think.
Agree 100% with PSD Kiwi - stop fukn trying to make out things are harder than they actually are. Just go with the fukn flow. You'll soon find out if things have changed when you actually have to deal with them yourself instead of having to ask advice from strangers on a forum :beer2:
haha true, i have a new passport which only has one extension in it so the furthest they could try and backlog me would be only 1 year, fuck em :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Do retirees get a pensioner discount like Australia?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Some of you may have seen my Facebook post on this, but recent happenings...

I've repeatedly heard that the actual price for a one-year visa is $180 if you can get through the government's buffer of BS. I asked on FB if anyone had achieved this, and got multiple referrals to LuckyLucky and even direct approaches from other agents.

I sent our personal assistant to the Immigration office across the road from the airport to see if we could get some straight facts. He's an educated lad with a proven record for dealing with the government, so I was happy that what he reported back was accurate.

He was told that:

- yes, visas are a lot cheaper if you buy them directly from Immigration

- no, Immigration wouldn't give an actual price

- if you ask for an EB (business) visa, they will not give you an actual number until they've visited your business to "check your documents" and see how profitable it is

- you really should just go to an agent

- go to an agent

- go away.

I guess the right teapots don't get filled if you follow the legitimate route, so let's just remove the legitimate route. My assistant then spoke to LuckyLucky and found that EBs and ERs cost no more than EIs and require no additional paperwork.

My contribution, for what it's worth.

edit - oh, and EBs may still require a WP, depending on your relationship with your friendly neighbourhood Immigration Police officer.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

This looks like the best advice from PSD-Kiwi, Jan 2017 > > > https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/ask-the ... ml#p158980
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 pm This looks like the best advice from PSD-Kiwi, Jan 2017 > > > https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/ask-the ... ml#p158980
If it's the same Dara my PA tried to contact in the last two weeks, he's done a runner and left people hanging.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:26 pm
Username Taken wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 pm This looks like the best advice from PSD-Kiwi, Jan 2017 > > > https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/ask-the ... ml#p158980
If it's the same Dara my PA tried to contact in the last two weeks, he's done a runner and left people hanging.
Thats interesting ... I heard that Dara guy was closed for May only

It annoyed me as my annual visa expires next week ( right in the middle of the Kings b'day closures ) and I was hoping to save $100
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic