Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Sunnyside up wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Sunnyside up wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:
Sunnyside up wrote:Hey folks
My wife and I have a long term goal of early retirement in asia. We have always loved spending time there especially Cambodia. When we got back from our annual holiday 2 weeks ago we thought screw it lets quit our jobs and live in Cambodia for six months as we need to actually know whether we like spending time there on a longer term basis.
A friend of ours is keen to rent our house and we are in the early stages of getting an internet business off the ground so the timing is perfect.
We leave in two weeks and hope to travel to Kampot and Sihanoukville in the first couple of weeks. If nothing there grabs us we will take a lease in Phnom Penh.
So we will see you there :beer3:
Good decision. Just do it and see how it pans out. :thumb:
And as usual, if you want to know anything, just ask...
Cheers mate. Will do.
hope to see you around :) :thumb:
Jamie I'll buy you a beer in exchange for some knowledge :beer2:
sounds good mate, drop me a PM anytime :thumb: :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jan Balt
Tourist

Post by Jan Balt »

Hi all .

My name is Jan and I am considering moving to Cambodia.

I cannot seem to find any information online and hope you can help!

I have a wife and a 2 year old. Is it easy for a family to move there? What are the schools like? And is work easy to come by? What about visas?

Any information you can provide me with will be immensely appreciated!

Sincerely,
Jan Balt
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Jan Balt wrote:Hi all .

I have a wife and a 2 year old. Is it easy for a family to move there? What are the schools like? And is work easy to come by? What about visas?

Sincerely,
Jan Balt
questionable, due to the quality of schools/health system etc most usually try to talk people out of bringing their kids over,

work depends on what it is you can do/qualified to do, its no doubt a lot harder to find work/less jobs available/much lower pay

Visas can be the easiest thing with how relaxed they are, where you can extend them every year without problems
Jan Balt
Tourist

Post by Jan Balt »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:

Sincerely,
Jan Balt
questionable, due to the quality of schools/health system etc most usually try to talk people out of bringing their kids over,

work depends on what it is you can do/qualified to do, its no doubt a lot harder to find work/less jobs available/much lower pay

Visas can be the easiest thing with how relaxed they are, where you can extend them every year without problems
Thank you for the reply! Wow. I was under the impression that it was a utopia for expats. The current situation in my home country is highly unfavourable for most of us living here and Asia is definitely my number 1 choice to move to. Are there any international schools there?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Jan Balt wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

Sincerely,
Jan Balt

Thank you for the reply! Wow. I was under the impression that it was a utopia for expats. The current situation in my home country is highly unfavourable for most of us living here and Asia is definitely my number 1 choice to move to. Are there any international schools there?
it is/can be a utopia for expats, if you dont mind some of the down sides, which may not make it suitable for families, people can and do make it work though as ive seen it, so wouldnt let it put you off, just something to consider, im obviously not talking from experience as im a single male (29) just going off other posters opinions on here,
if you have youre heart set on camboida then you can make it work for sure, but if its Asia in general you want, then there might be better options, Cambodia visa wise though is one of the easiest though

yeah there are a number of international schools here, im sure some of the other posters might be able to provide with better information on that
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jan Balt wrote:I cannot seem to find any information online and hope you can help!
There is a plethora of information online. You should try "Move to Cambodia", it's a website and book and there's a banner for it on here.

Jan Balt wrote: Are there any international schools there?
There are quite a few. Any of the decent ones will cost from around $5000 to $20,000 per annum.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jan Balt
Tourist

Post by Jan Balt »

Thank you to all of you.

I am considering Cambodia purely for the ease yes. I lived in Thailand for 2 years on and off and I know it's becoming quite a hassle that side. Thank you for the info. I shall be considering it thoroughly.

On a side note, would a supplementary income of around $1 000 US per month be a lot of money for all general expenses?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi Jan, what sort of work are you looking for ? Maybe check that out before you move your family here. It will probably be underpaid compared to Europe, and the cost of living in Cambodia is rising ; do a search.
Best, AM
Khmai_Ryder
Tourist

Post by Khmai_Ryder »

Hi everyone,

I'm a Cambodian living in America. Been here for 31 years now. Nice to meet everyone!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Khmai_Ryder wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a Cambodian living in America. Been here for 31 years now. Nice to meet everyone!
nice to meet you bro :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic