Khmer vocab help

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Khmer vocab help

Post by taabarang »

Hang chap houi does indeed mean grocery store, but only in a very limited and somewhat rustic sense. Hang=store/shop, chap=to catch, and houi I believe is from the Chinese meaning I believe kompek Kompok(odds & ends). A very poetic heritage for a mom and pop store. Somewhat the equivalent of the German Tanta Emma Laden.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:"hang chap houi", just of your information, all khmer language lover and learner, hang chap houi mean grocery shop.

BTW, it is good to see you begin posting rural khmer slang again. I am from Sihanoukville and there we don't have many slang also we don't even have accent compare with people from other provinces. I am happy to help you understanding all these rural slang and in general I like to discuss about khmer language.

Since Jamie has a private tutor, khmer language thread has been remained silent for awhile.

Username Taken, your understanding of khmer is great, i guess much better than Richard.
yeah now i can read and write i tend to just use a dictionary lol

i will try revive that thread though now that you are posting again
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:"hang chap houi", just of your information, all khmer language lover and learner, hang chap houi mean grocery shop.

BTW, it is good to see you begin posting rural khmer slang again. I am from Sihanoukville and there we don't have many slang also we don't even have accent compare with people from other provinces. I am happy to help you understanding all these rural slang and in general I like to discuss about khmer language.

Since Jamie has a private tutor, khmer language thread has been remained silent for awhile.

Username Taken, your understanding of khmer is great, i guess much better than Richard.

Lolzzz, no worries mate. It is good that you are using dictionary as it would improve your understanding quickly and you can learn many vocabs at the same time. You can ask questions once what you want to know are really strange or idioms that you can't find in the dictionary.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

taabarang wrote:Hang chap houi does indeed mean grocery store, but only in a very limited and somewhat rustic sense. Hang=store/shop, chap=to catch, and houi I believe is from the Chinese meaning I believe kompek Kompok(odds & ends). A very poetic heritage for a mom and pop store. Somewhat the equivalent of the German Tanta Emma Laden.
I have no idea about the origin of this phrase.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Although I am illiterate in Khmer, people that I know and trust are my resources or dictionaries if you will. But I am selective about those I choose to put faith in. You are a welcome addition, but stop underestimating the abilities of the illiterate, including me.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Hey Taabarang, I was honest with you that i really don't know about the origin of that phrase. I hear it all the time and i can tell what it means but really can't tell the root of the phrase. Also, i have never underestimated you. Your understanding of khmer language is wonderful. Pretty much, you are one of a poster that i would like to have a beer or two with. It is always great to hear stories of rural neighborhood from you.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

Lolzzz, no worries mate. It is good that you are using dictionary as it would improve your understanding quickly and you can learn many vocabs at the same time. You can ask questions once what you want to know are really strange or idioms that you can't find in the dictionary.
yeah that is where i struggle, especially when translating songs and they use idioms haha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:

yeah that is where i struggle, especially when translating songs and they use idioms haha
Agree translating song is not easy.

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I think Samouth is right!
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic