Giant Ibis Hit and Run

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Giant Ibis Hit and Run

Post by Username Taken »

Giant Ibis responded on taabarang's link above
Dear all,

I can confirm that there was only once incident, not two. I spent much of Saturday afternoon on the phone and spoke to a couple passengers on the bus that insisted that two people were hit. The incident happened about one kilometer away from our bus stop in Kampot. A homeless man with mental health illness was struck resulting in a broken leg. My Site Supervisor immediately returned to the place via tuk tuk and met with local police. Together they took the man to the provincial hospital and we have covered all his medical expenses and our insurance company is involved.

The driver provided a police statement over the phone, but was not required to turn himself in as the incident did not result in a fatality. He is now on administrative leave. Our bus was impounded but released the following day. Unfortunately, no matter what our internal policy dictates, no driver in Cambodia will stop at the scene of an accident, especially if there is a suspected fatality. The drivers fear local mob justice and will flee the scene every time. My greatest concern is for the safety of our passengers. I think I'd rather have them removed from the scene than potentially get caught up in a mob lynching.

We're reminded daily that the roads in Cambodia are a dangerous place. Despite our best efforts some incidents are unavoidable. I'm just glad that no passengers were injured and that the injured man will recover fully.

Safe travels,

Giant Ibis Transport
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... bodia.html
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

so by giant ibis logic, if airline crash then the pilots should run as well
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

"Unfortunately, no matter what our internal policy dictates, no driver in Cambodia will stop at the scene of an accident, especially if there is a suspected fatality. The drivers fear local mob justice and will flee the scene every time."

Wow.

My Cambodian friend tells me nothing will ever happen to Giant Ibis because the boss is one of the untouchable elite here.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

pppfffttt, there is only 2 untouchable elites in KOW
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

those were my words not his, but that was the impression he gave
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

[quote="timmydownawell"]"Unfortunately, no matter what our internal policy dictates, no driver in Cambodia will stop at the scene of an accident, especially if there is a suspected fatality. The drivers fear local mob justice and will flee the scene every time."

Wow.

quote]

Having seen links on threads on here to mobs killing thieves for stealing mobile phones etc, I'm not surprised any bus driver would not want to hang around the scene of a road crash, especially if somebody was killed.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

jaynewcastle wrote: Having seen links on threads on here to mobs killing thieves for stealing mobile phones etc, I'm not surprised any bus driver would not want to hang around the scene of a road crash, especially if somebody was killed.
That's true. They need a bit of a cultural shift, not something that can easily be achieved.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

a gun to the head will shift lots of stuffs
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I was in a khmer minivan on a small country road when the driver accidentally knocked a woman off her motorbike. To be fair to the driver, the motorbike was overloaded with stuff sticking out on both sides, and he wasn't driving fast.
However, we stopped to check that she was ok and the driver gave her some money to fix the bike, and then we went on our way. Quite civilized, but she was more shaken than hurt. Everyone seemed ok with the arrangement.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

BTW/ I posted my Giant Ibus experience both here and on TripAdvisor. There is more than one negative thread on TripAdvisor about this bus company, but I'm ignorant on linking it to here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic