Myanmar: Another SEA ferry disaster.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Myanmar: Another SEA ferry disaster.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Myanmar ferry death toll could reach 100, say rescuers

Officials have so far found 32 bodies but say numbers likely to rise once vessel – which sank on Saturday with up to 250 people on board – is lifted.

“So far we have recovered 32 dead bodies,” said Sa Willy Frient, director of the local relief and resettlement department who is overseeing the operation.
“We are trying to raise the boat using a crane after tying it with strong ropes. After we lift it out, the death toll will be higher.”

Sa Willy Frient estimated 240-250 people – around 100 more than its capacity – were on the boat, along with heavy cargo...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ry-sinking

Actually surprising that there are not more accidents - 100 passengers too many :facepalm:
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Myanmar: Another SEA ferry disaster.

Post by Luigi »

You can say all the nasty things about the USA as you want, never a problem from me.
Nanny state, too much governing, rules, regulations, prohibitive laws, can do this, no can do that.

This never happens on this scale in the USA, no one ever never puts an extra 100 lives on a boat.

There are always some renegades. Never like that. Moe better since 1972+.

Anyone can cite contrary I would read.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Yes, the USA may be over regulated, but when it comes to Safety of Life At Sea (Solas), they are great. As a retired US Merchant Mariner and Vietnam era member of the US Coast Guard, I had many years of interaction with government inspections by the Coast Guard. Big inspections once a year. Quarterly inspections with them observing abandon ship and firefighting drills, inspection of ships machinery , lifeboats/rafts and firefighting equipment. Lots of drug testing (which I didn't much care for, but if its for the safety of passengers, I chose the profession so my choice to put up with peeing in a cup.)

Many times in my 15 years with the Alaska Ferry System (Alaska Marine Highway System) in ships/ferries to over 400ft, we had upwards of 800 passengers and were the only ship in the area along the coast of Alaska and British Columbia. If something happened like a fire, grounding, medical emergence, it was on us the crew to deal with it. The companies I worked for paid for my basic and advanced firefighting training which was expensive. My union(s) paid for upgrade schooling and the companies paid for the time off for school.

Yes, its cheap to ride ships/boats in Southeast Asia, but with a trained eye, I have sometimes not stepped on ship/boats I believed unsafe or overloaded. You get what you pay for and safety may not be one of the things the company is thinking of. Look at how many ferries sink in the Philippines and Africa, much less Southeast Asia. (google: SOLAS)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

ABOUT 300 passengers were believed to have been aboard. And of course nobody will know exactly how many lives were lost until they do the body count.

Death toll reaches 39 after more bodies found in Myanmar shipwreck

YANGON, Oct. 18 (Xinhua) -- More bodies have been found two days after a ferry capsized in northwestern Myanmar, bringing the death toll to 39, the Fire Services Department said on Tuesday.

Among the 31 bodies retrieved on Monday, 22 were female, most of whom are school teachers.

Other 157 people survived the tragedy which occurred in Chindwin river on Saturday morning when the ferry hit a rock on its voyage from Homelin to Monywa.

At least 80 people were still missing, the department estimated.

About 300 passengers were believed to be on board the ferry and overloading was blamed for the accident.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I was on that ferry back in April, luckily at that time it was NOT overloaded,
accidents like this happen everywhere in SE Asia, where greed over rides safety
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

As the death toll looks certain to exceed the first estimates of around 100 victims, the government has called for an inquiry to determine who is responsible for the deadly accident. All the bodies have not yet been recovered.

Myanmar gov't to carry out probe into ferry capsize incident
YANGON, Oct.21 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar will carry out probe into the recent deadly ferry capsize incident and take action against those who are responsible for the tragedy, said a government announcement Friday.

Expressing condolence and sympathy over the deadly incident, the announcement signed by President U Htin Kyaw, said a total of 66 bodies including 53 women's have been pulled out from the river until Thursday and search and rescue operation is still underway .

A total of 159 passengers survived the tragedy and 80 people are still missing, according to the authorities.

The Aung Soe Moe Kyaw ferry, said to have carried about 300 passengers, capsized on Oct. 15 in the Chindwin river at the location of Kanni for hitting a rock when the ferry was on its way from Homelin to Monywa, northwestern Sagaing region.

Overloading was blamed for the incident.
The Sagaing regional government has formed a fact-finding mission, led by the regional Police Chief Pol-Col Lu Lu Than, to probe into the incident.
The sunken ferry was reportedly salvaged from the river on Thursday.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic