Imposing a Higher Civilization

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Imposing a Higher Civilization

Post by boozyoldman »

On T.O.F., a person asked about how best he might encourage others in an apartment building to live like decent humans ...

Re: How to wash/fix one of those Cambodian stairways that reeks of piss and has dead rats and almost no light in it
Postby boozyoldman » Sunday Oct 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Have the following translated (well) into Khmer and have it printed. Slip it under all doors and paste it on all vertical surfaces:

You are Cambodians and enjoy living in shit. However, someone from a higher culture has come to live
close to you and now far higher standards are expected.

1 Clean up your filth.

2 Stop throwing garbage everywhere and spitting everywhere.

3 Make an effort to live like Thais and Vietnamese, people with better manners and a far higher culture than your own

That ought to do the trick!
Raybull
Expatriate

Re: Imposing a Higher Civilization

Post by Raybull »

boozyoldman wrote:On T.O.F., a person asked about how best he might encourage others in an apartment building to live like decent humans ...

Re: How to wash/fix one of those Cambodian stairways that reeks of piss and has dead rats and almost no light in it
Postby boozyoldman » Sunday Oct 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Have the following translated (well) into Khmer and have it printed. Slip it under all doors and paste it on all vertical surfaces:

You are Cambodians and enjoy living in shit. However, someone from a higher culture has come to live
close to you and now far higher standards are expected.

1 Clean up your filth.

2 Stop throwing garbage everywhere and spitting everywhere.

3 Make an effort to live like Thais and Vietnamese, people with better manners and a far higher culture than your own

That ought to do the trick!
Point 3 will ensure that all the filth, garbage and what not will be at your front door instead of the stairwell, so yeah goal achieved! Best advice is to not move into such a place in the first place.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

I suppose just moving would have been too difficult....
and NO, I don't think this will cause any problems for him, everyone just loves this type of 'positive criticism'! :facepalm:

just sayin'

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

we all know SE Asians love to be told of their short comings

good luck with that
:stir: :stir: :facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

The only time I lived in such a place it was the owners of the building who kept the stairway cleaned. IMHO it is the landlord/building owner who should be spoken to about the mess in their stairway
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Raybull wrote: Best advice is to not move into such a place in the first place.
Exactly right, tenement style buildings anywhere in the world are generally the worst option, and usually house people of the lowest class, and with the least self esteem. Don't think you'd have much luck getting the occupants of this Jo'burg property to clean up for example :D

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Don't need to go to Jo'burg to see that. We have the same right here in Phnom Penh.

From the Daily, December 2012.

A 3-meter-high mountain of trash seen at the Borei Keila apartment complex yesterday. Ground-floor residents of Borei Keila said that the uncollected garbage, which is being thrown down on them by residents living in apartments above, is a serious health hazard. (Dene-Hern Chen/The Cambodia Daily)

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/archives/ ... plex-6894/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic