Cameraman/Editor moving to Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cameraman
Tourist

Cameraman/Editor moving to Cambodia

Post by cameraman »

Hello Everybody
Please excuse this vague approach but I thought you guys would be in the know. Im an experienced, Australian Cameraman/Editor with a range of credentials that I won't bore you with here. I've lived in Thailand before and have always wanted to do a few years in Cambodia as well. Im hoping to get involved with as much NGO work as possible but would probably shoot 'News' programming too. I've been following the political situation in Cambodia from abroad and I know that's never the best way to try and predict what is actually going to happen.
I was thinking about moving sometime next year, once I had firmed up a few media contacts but if things are heating up now, then maybe I should hurry?....any thoughts on demonstrations or worse?
If I did need to rush then I was thinking I could come over on a 'Regular Visa', then extend or get a work permit in country. Any advice I could give on the feasibility of my plan or if you know of any contacts that could be useful, I really would appreciate it. I've been working for rating driven commercial media for a long time, I really want to try and do something more worthwhile with my skills.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Cameraman/Editor moving to Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

cameraman wrote:... but if things are heating up now, then maybe I should hurry?....any thoughts on demonstrations or worse?
Hi, and welcome to CEO.

Things have been "heating up" for the past decade, so I wouldn't rush any plans. It was the same story a year ago, and it will look the same in another year.

1) Yes, easy to just show up and get a regular visa on arrival and extent it for up to a year. About $285 for the extra 12 months.

2) Yes, you can later get a work permit, in-country.

3) There is even an NGO visa, but I'm not certain how that works.

Best of luck, and I hope you can keep us updated, as it sounds like it will be quite a ride for you here!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Cameraman/Editor moving to Cambodia

Post by Luigi »

If you intend to film demonstrations you may want to consider BYORG.
(bring your own riot gear).

Use caution if you transit through the land of Thai as a HK citizen had some wee problem. You are probably already aware having worked there before.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/lea ... proof-vest

But best of luck in your endeavors. The world needs photo journalists who will go the distance.
cameraman
Tourist

Post by cameraman »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Hopefully I can buy you a drink sometime :)
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

But I'm thirst now.
Lex
Expatriate

Post by Lex »

It may not be as chaotic as you're hoping for, at least for now. The powers that be have tightened their grip and the opposition is understandably afraid to make a real stand, despite all the talk. There's plenty of oppression happening but I don't know how much of it is going to translate into those killer shots that we long for.

The best we had recently was Kem Ley's funeral procession, and the commando unit conducting "drills" near opposition headquarters. Also I know at least one foreigner was recently arrested and deported for taking part in demonstrations, so definitely best to talk to those who have come before you about it
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

bring many kilos of silica gel
cameraman
Tourist

Post by cameraman »

Thanks again for the tips. I'm mostly looking to do NGO and tourism type work, news will pay the bills but Id rather do something more worthwhile with my skills.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hope u have contacts and contracts to buy ur work, freelancing in Cambodia is very very tough,
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic