Last call for unregistered SIM cards.

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
lurcio
Expatriate
Guatemala

Re: Last call for unregistered SIM cards.

Post by lurcio »

I had my Metfone SIM turned off a few months ago and had to take my passport to the office to get it turned on again. The stupid thing is that I bought it there originally (albeit many years ago) and had to produce my passport then but they had never bothered to record or 'lost' the info. Also when I check now it is still not registered to me but some random Khmer.

To check Metfone registration call *200# to get into the Registration Menu and option 1 (Search) to check recorded info for your SIM.

My Smart SIM is in my GF's name and I was sent an SMS to go to the office to verify the recorded name. I took my passport and explained that she had bought 2 SIMs with one digit difference and they said they couldn't change it from her name but that it was alright and it wouldn't be turned off.

To register your Smart SIM online go to https://simreg.smart.com.kh/ and follow the instructions.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Bertros »

lurcio wrote:I .

To register your Smart SIM online go to https://simreg.smart.com.kh/ and follow the instructions.
just checked my number with the smart link here (thx!). worked great and had it registered under my name. I guess I reg.d it when I got the sim card. they took my ID when I bought it (passport card, not passport) and entered what they needed to. I got the SIM when I arrived at airport in aug. nice to see system works! BTW, ignore the note about adding +855 or 010 to your number. I just added a 0 (zero) then the number proper to get it to work.

cheer

Bertros
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Two Months On, SIM Card Crackdown Fizzles

by Aisha Down and Khy Sovuthy | January 5, 2017

Citing threats to security and the potential for terrorism, the government pledged to ensure that every active mobile phone SIM card in the country was registered by the end of October last year.

Yet it took a reporter all of 30 minutes on Wednesday to buy $2 unregistered SIM cards from all three major providers. Two out of three—Smart and Metfone—were easily activated and used to make calls

“Just put a dollar on the phone and you can call anyone,” said a man in a pink shirt selling secondhand mobile phones out of a glass cabinet north of Wat Phnom.

The man, who said he had about 20 to 30 customers a month, only had Cellcard SIMs available as he’d run out of the others, he said. The card brought up the message “SIM registration fail” when put in a phone.

A purveyor of used watches near the riverside said, without looking up from his cart, that he hustled both Metfone and Smart unregistered sims.

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/two- ... es-122987/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sim card sellers face crackdown
National Police officials have promised tough action against those who sell SIM cards without copying buyers’ national identity cards, saying the practice may have a dangerous impact on society.

Chea Pov, director of the National Police’s counter-technology crime department, confirmed the strict measures yesterday, saying that authorities will not pardon anyone selling SIM cards without making a copy of the buyer’s ID.
“This action affects social order and is contrary to the law as well,” he said.

Mr. Pov added that officials would use measures to send those people to court if they are found secretly selling SIM cards to customers without requiring national identification.

Last week, National Police officials cracked down and arrested nine people for questioning who had sold SIM cards without requiring ID.

“After questioning all of them, we continued to arrest a 10th person who is the mastermind and head of SIM card distribution. We have already prepared the case for court,” said Mr. Pov.
He said this was the first time National Police officials had arrested anyone for the crime. Previously they just issued guidance to people and let them go.
Mr. Pov appealed to all citizens to cooperate with authorities by telling police if they know or see someone selling SIM cards without copying buyers’ ID cards...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/35713/ ... crackdown/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

OK folks put your phones and passports on the table and don't nobody leave this room said the man in charge of suppressing the color revolution.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thailand, not Cambodia, but...

Thailand scraps plans to track foreign tourists with SIM cards

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commision has scrapped a controversial plan that would require foreign tourists to use a special SIM card that would enable the authorities to easily monitor their whereabouts.

The plans, which were first announced last August, would have required all mobile operators to add location tracking software to SIM cards, which would enable the authorities to access all user call data, private messages and location information.

Mobile operators would then be forced to sell the special SIM cards to any foreigner who wanted to access local mobile services.

The authorities originally touted the move as being in the interest of national security and said a person would only be tracked should he or she overstay their visa or become a criminal suspect.

However, in its first public hearing held on Tuesday, the plan was met with fierce criticism, the Bangkok Post reported, saying it “could lead to a potential threat to travellers’ privacy”.

There were also concerns from the Tourism and Sports Ministry that the scheme could severely damage the tourism industry.

http://www.samuitimes.com/thailand-scra ... sim-cards/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Vietnam not cambodia but just bought sim from Vietel official office in Da Lat. All they asked for was some Dong.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ You should report them to the competent authorities.
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:36 pmThe national telecom regulator has set November 1 as the final deadline for mobile phone operators to register all of their clients’ mobile SIM cards or face cancellation ...
In terms of public key infrastructure, you have four elements:

- a private key : sec
- a public key : pub
- a message : mes
- a signature : sig

The public key identifies you. You can use the private key to produce a signature for a message. For security considerations, the user can only transmit the tuple (pub,mes,sig). The user must never transmit the secret (sec). If the recipient can use the transmission to repeat the transaction, then the security of the system is faulty. This automatically happens when the recipient receives a copy of the private key.

Applied to mobile phone operators, it must not be possible for the mobile phone operator to use anything that the user transmits to him, to send a similar message to another mobile phone operator. It obviously is, since the user's id card is the private key being used to authenticate itself. It is private key, public key, message, and signature, all at the same time.

This means that mobile phone operators are creating enormous honeypots with private keys waiting for attackers to lift copies of their entire database. The system makes it trivially easy for attackers to use these id cards to impersonate other users. It is not possible to create a secure system in that kind of circumstances.

The national telecom regulator has no understanding whatsoever of system security, cryptography or the mathematics involved in protecting information at that scale. The national telecom regulator are just a bunch of retarded idiots imposing their stupidity at gunpoint onto others.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

eriksank wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 am The national telecom regulator are just a bunch of retarded idiots imposing their stupidity at gunpoint onto others.
This is the smartest thing you have posted so far....

Do you work in the sector?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic