Life in KofW after US election

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Life in KofW after US election

Post by taabarang »

As an American living in Cambodia I have little interest in the upcoming Presidential election other than how the outcome might affect my life here. The following article sheds some light on how SE Asians view potential results. What do you think things will be like if either one wins or will it be irrelevant, I.e. Life will be same same and not at all different.

http://sea-globe.com/us-election-southeast-asia/
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Life in KofW after US election

Post by Anchor Moy »

First off I'm not from US, but any repercussions of the elections on SEA will affect non-US citizens also.
Without getting technical, it appears that Clinton will more or less continue the US foreign policy in SEA as we know it, whereas nobody actually knows what Trump has planned, or if he has anything planned at all. People don't like uncertainty and the markets don't like uncertainty, so maybe expect some financial turmoil in Asia and elsewhere if Trump wins.

Article from 2015, discussing Trump's Asia "policy" and possible outcome :
http://thediplomat.com/2015/09/donald-t ... -disaster/

In either case, there are signs that the balance of power in SEA between China and the US is shifting, and US influence is waning - you don't have to be a FP expert to see that - and this will probably continue no matter who wins the coming US elections.

US troops stationed in SEA are not so popular these days. A Filipino pov here:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/09/21/ ... ilippines/
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Life in KofW after US election

Post by frank lee bent »

i guess both KOW and PI will be better off under china
for sure- they will both be client states forever, and remittance economies too.
brave words and disastrous results.
Vietnam is far too wily to make common cause with China.
pine gap closed? that would mean Oz would have to massively raise military spending.

propaganda is not unique to faux news and sputnik
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic