Sar Kheng pushes Phnom Penh to clean up sidewalks

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Bertros
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Sar Kheng pushes Phnom Penh to clean up sidewalks

Post by Bertros »

frank lee bent wrote:i first visited in 2007, the traffic was much less as was the population i am certain.
looking forward to the weekend when many will be in the provinces
roads much quieter thur and fri am. Road was almost clear of folks by midnight last night and no hammering/banging/sawing etc. on the buildings this am. wonderful morning!

cheers

Bertros :hattip:
A taste of the bait is worth the pain of the hook.....
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bertros wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:i first visited in 2007, the traffic was much less as was the population i am certain.
looking forward to the weekend when many will be in the provinces
roads much quieter thur and fri am. Road was almost clear of folks by midnight last night and no hammering/banging/sawing etc. on the buildings this am. wonderful morning!

cheers

Bertros :hattip:

I live about 10 meters from a Pagoda so it was the usual racket from 4 am.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Well it looks like they have got as far as street 136 with selected places told to move back. I purposely waited till they got to the corner of street 5 and street 136 and walked straight into this sign which blocked off the pathway, and all the police just laughed .
Be interesting to see if they remove it, or is the owner too big to confront.

ImageImage
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

They went to Larry's Bar on 110 this week. Made them remove all their plants and painted a bit stripe of white paint 1 metre back in on his decking. That's where they want the seating area reduced to.

One of the few places on street 110 where you can actually walked past on the pavement and they decide to fuck up it's plant pots and seating arrangements. And all the while the pavement in dotted with parked cars blocking the pavement. Truly idiotic.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Duncan wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:37 am Well it looks like they have got as far as street 136 with selected places told to move back. I purposely waited till they got to the corner of street 5 and street 136 and walked straight into this sign which blocked off the pathway, and all the police just laughed .

ImageImage
Is this the divider between Ostro and Candy Bar?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Well I just don't get what's happening in my Daun Penh street.

Up until a few months ago, the parking police were regularly cleaning up the street and putting motos left parked on the side of the street on the back of truck and taking them away. I recall they even towed cars away (ie excluding those in owner driveways). So when they came along and announced their arrival as they normally do, people would rush out and bring their motos up off the side of the road and onto the sidewalk.

Now as part of this campaign, they are cleaning up the sidewalks and taking shop signs, tables, chairs, pot plants et al and loading them on their truck. And pushing back some restaurant tables. And yet they leave motos and cars parked and blocking the sidewalk....

Kinda defeats the purpose of freeing up sidewalks no? Or do they want the motos and cars back on the road? :unknown:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 am
Duncan wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:37 am Well it looks like they have got as far as street 136 with selected places told to move back. I purposely waited till they got to the corner of street 5 and street 136 and walked straight into this sign which blocked off the pathway, and all the police just laughed .

ImageImage
That was the divider.

Go 20 m towards riverside and the footpath is still blocked off with pot plants.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Duncan wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 am

ImageImage
That was the divider.

Go 20 m towards riverside and the footpath is still blocked off with pot plants.
Hilarious. The pathway is still blocked with crap even after the divider os removed. There is no concept of doing the job properly here. Half baked futile attempts qualityas a job well done
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Only weeks after the authorities have cleared [ some ] of the streets , businesses are continuing to make new efforts to block the footpath. Now I don't want to shatter the dreams of some entrepreneurs after they have put so much effort and money into their dream cafe , but some people dont seem to have done their homework on what they can or cannot do. The guys beside the Knife Shop on Street 110 are a good example, so if anyone here speaks Russian I think it would be a good idea to talk to them and tell them one day ,,, when they are operating,,, the footpath police will be along to shatter their dream.

As a side note, In the last 4 years there have been 3 businesses that have started there and all have failed after about a year. A second hand shop, a Chinese ice-cream shop, and a Chinese 8F ,, 7/11 type shop. Maybe the place has bad karma or the $2000 per month rent is too much to extract from a business there.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Rights groups slam Cambodia's proposed clean-up drive
A proposed law in Cambodia aims to clean up the streets of Phnom Penh, which also means that thousands of street vendors could be forced to shut down their businesses. Ate Hoekstra reports.

For almost 20 years, Lom Rithy has walked the streets of Phnom Penh with her cart, selling cold beverages to Cambodians. Although she doesn't earn much, it is enough for the 37-year-old to take care of her family.

"On an average, I make a daily profit of around $5 (€4,23)," she told DW.

According to the Independent Democracy of Informal Economy Association (IDEA), there are around 16,000 street vendors in Phnom Penh. But Cambodian authorities believe the street shops are causing disorder in the city. The government is now working on a law to impose restrictions on streets, which is likely to affect the vendors.

The proposal was slammed by Cambodian and international labor organizations. In a joint statement, the groups said the draft law "effectively criminalizes legitimate everyday activities of many within the Kingdom of Cambodia," adding that the proposed law "severely undermines human rights."

"We are concerned that the law would be used to harass street vendors," Keo Poeurn, a spokesman for IDEA, told DW. "The law will allow police to harass poor people and prevent them from doing business," he added.
https://www.dw.com/en/rights-groups-sla ... a-54852865
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic