Another Teacher enters the Kingdom

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CambodianDevil
Tourist

Another Teacher enters the Kingdom

Post by CambodianDevil »

Hello everyone! I was planning on getting my tefl certification next month, but some complications messed up those plans. Now the idea is to get my Celts from the Australian Centre for Education I'm Siem Reap.

I quit my job and was planning to be in Cambodia in October. I'm thinking of just heading that was and getting a place to stay a few weeks early. Anyone know of where this ACE place is in SR and if there are places to stay close by? Also, do they have a fair reputation also? I had originally wanted to go through Language Corps in Phnom Penh if anyone had thoughts on them?

I am 43 and have been looking forward to this for a while. I've been reading about Cambodia for weeks now. I'm donating my clunker car to charity and doing something different. And I have been reading the forum and know I am maybe headed for disaster or something...lol.

Mainly just trying to get a place close to nice walking distance to the school if I can and get some opinions.

Thanks.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Re: Another Teacher enters the Kingdom

Post by boozyoldman »

Check the appropriate website.

ACE is on the other side of the river from Pub Street.

Good luck to you! The reality of Siem Reap is that there are invariably scores of bright-eyed young
volunteers willing to work for nothing at all.

One degree-granting (fee-paying) university actually solicits volunteers to come along and conduct
conversation classes - and is graciously pleased to award those NS volunteers who complete a full 20 hours
of wholly-unpaid conversation classes with a certificate of appreciation. (A plastic frame may or may not
be part of the deal.)
CambodianDevil
Tourist

Post by CambodianDevil »

Thanks for the heads up.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi CD,
Welcome. I would just come and have a look around once you arrive. Siem Reap is not that big. Check out the local expat community on Fb; that seems to be the best source of info when you first get into town.
Have you been to Cambodia before ? Go ahead if you have any questions you want to ask here.

I's almost October. Enjoy. :beer3: AM
CambodianDevil
Tourist

Post by CambodianDevil »

Thanks Anchor Moy. I guess I will book a hotel for the first several days so I can get myself settled. I have not been to Cambodia before, but I was in Korea while I was in the military, so I somewhat have an idea of what to expect as far as foreign people, language differences, smells of the country....stuff like that.

Someone in a different site had recommended guesthouses because leasing would not allow me to stay anywhere until Christmas or so and leave. After calculating the cost of staying at a guesthouse, it looks like it would be cheaper to get a room somewhere, stay as long as I need, and leave and forfeit the two months rent I had prepaid. It would still seem cheaper than some of the $12 night guesthouses. I was recommended happy guesthouse because it was close in proximity to the ACE building, but a long stay and those days add up.

October is closing in. I have a lot of loose ends to tie up before I leave, but I am looking forward to it.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

There are plenty of long-stay deals in SR; they usually insist on a minimum stay of 1 month. Check the internet
for the very comfortable and affordable Angkor Aseana Residence - just one of many.
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Here is the site:
http://aseanaangkor.webs.com/
... but there are loads of other options, tho' probably few or none which are better value
CambodianDevil
Tourist

Post by CambodianDevil »

Thanks Boozy. I checked it out and that's about what I was looking for. Thanks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic