How does thing work in Quebec?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

How does thing work in Quebec?

Post by Samouth »

From what I know Quebec is a Canada’s French-Speaking province. No doubt, people there speak French as their first language or a strange French that many people from France would say.

However, I believe that they were offered with English lessons at school. So, I wonder if it is fair to say that all Québécois are bilingual for French and English considering that fact that the majority of Canadians speak English as their first language.

By the way, I have talked to a few Québécois and what I found is that not all of them have better accent when speaking English. Some of them have really strong French accent while other are hardly to be able to tell if they are from Quebec by their accent while we talked to each other in English.

Would love to hear anything in general about Quebec as well.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How does thing work in Quebec?

Post by taabarang »

I have had many Quebecois visitors at my home. They learn classical French at school and talk their patois at home. If they are from or near a metropolitan city usually their English is impeccable.. But if they come from an area where no English is spoken say some place like Chicoutimi then they have no reason to speak either classical French or English.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

the only people who have impeccable english accents are native english speakers not faux froggy canucks!

burn the lot,especially celine dion and bryan adams

john candy has already been burnt so good start
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
teakman
Tourist
Canada

Post by teakman »

I was born in Montreal,Quebec and before the Parti Quebecois took over,the city was no.1 in Canada for many things such as business,culture,food(first deli in North America),sports and beautiful women. as for their French speaking,it's 16th century French so that's why many from France can't understand it. according to that guy? sinsisamouth that only native English speakers have impeccable accents,why is it that I can hardly understand some English from the likes of some Brits. regional dialects I guess! I don't know where that guy's? from but has got something against Canadians/Canadiens eh?
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

There was a temptation - immediately overruled - to down load a slab about the Caribbean Imam in French, but ...

Some (not all) Canadian Francophones have such a deep hatred of Anglo-Canadians and Anglo-Canadian culture that they gladly
welcome the immigration of Lebanese, Maghrebis and (preposterously) Haitians. In fact, anyone who can do a little parlez-vous ...

An Imam of Caribbean origin has made his mark on Canadian society:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_ ... ontroversy
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

teakman wrote:I was born in Montreal,Quebec and before the Parti Quebecois took over,the city was no.1 in Canada for many things such as business,culture,food(first deli in North America),sports and beautiful women. as for their French speaking,it's 16th century French so that's why many from France can't understand it. according to that guy? sinsisamouth that only native English speakers have impeccable accents,why is it that I can hardly understand some English from the likes of some Brits. regional dialects I guess! I don't know where that guy's? from but has got something against Canadians/Canadiens eh?
A lot of Quebecers ended up moving to where the jobs were, namely Toronto, as the city eventually overtook Montreal as the centre of, well, almost everything. Naturally, their English improved immensely. Montrealers in big business had to improve their English. Me, I took years of French but almost never used it. While I can speak it, I cannot understand most of what is spoken in Quebec or France. No ear for it because of lack of practice. Yes, I learned what we called Parisian French in my province.

I would say that Quebecers have the same impatience as the French when listening to someone speak French as a second language. I'll leave it at that.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

[quote="boozyoldman"]
Some (not all) Canadian Francophones have such a deep hatred of Anglo-Canadians and Anglo-Canadian culture that they gladly
welcome the immigration of Lebanese, Maghrebis and (preposterously) Haitians. In fact, anyone who can do a little parlez-vous ...
/quote]
MM2 stop looking for hatred. What you said there is totally ridiculous. You judge French-canadians as anti-Anglo because ? ... :crazy:

Get a grip. There are enough hate sites on the internet where you can express yourself. Enough of judging other people because they don't think like you.
Please tell us about your great experiences of your life in Quebec ?

Just as an aside to you older people, Quebec has changed immensely in the past 50 years. Don't judge it by its past history. Things change. :rave:
boozyoldman
Expatriate
Western Sahara

Post by boozyoldman »

Here is the learned Imam in his own words:

http://www.salafidemontreal.com/index.p ... uteur.html

... a number of people thought his public utterances had crossed the line of permissible expression, but the
Human Rights people noted the Imam's ethnic origin and confessional affiliation and ran away and hid under
the stairs. It's quite a story in itself.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

taabarang wrote:I have had many Quebecois visitors at my home. They learn classical French at school and talk their patois at home. If they are from or near a metropolitan city usually their English is impeccable.. But if they come from an area where no English is spoken say some place like Chicoutimi then they have no reason to speak either classical French or English.
So it is not fare then to say that every Quebecois is bilingual. So at school, they learn everything in French and English is their foreign language. I wonder if it is like Switzerland that everything has to be translated in various languages like constitution. The law in Canada has to be in both French and English ?

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

teakman wrote:I was born in Montreal,Quebec and before the Parti Quebecois took over,the city was no.1 in Canada for many things such as business,culture,food(first deli in North America),sports and beautiful women. as for their French speaking,it's 16th century French so that's why many from France can't understand it. according to that guy? sinsisamouth that only native English speakers have impeccable accents,why is it that I can hardly understand some English from the likes of some Brits. regional dialects I guess! I don't know where that guy's? from but has got something against Canadians/Canadiens eh?
I met quite a few Cambodian-Canadian from Montreal. From what I know there is a big community of Cambodian-Canadian in Montreal Quebec. I should have asked them about the education system in Quebec next time we meet. BTW, most of them don't speak Khmer at all. :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic