Should I buy a Mango Farm

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Should I buy a Mango Farm

Post by Element6 »

have the chance to buy 25Ha of land for mango farming in Kirirom. 5000 mostly mature trees plus some Durian and Jackfruit (not sure of the count on those but not so many). Has a stream from the mountain on about 1/2 of the property which I am told runs all year. Well kept, includes tractor and other equipment. Pump is there as well as storage pond.

At $1.8/m2 does it sound like a reasonable price? Saw others at $1.1/m2 but no where near as mature and not so good a water source with a generally less well kept than this one. Have to check the final boundaries but from what I could see only about 15 - 20Ha was planted out so still room to expand and try new things.

Owner is selling due to ill health and currently leases to a middle man for about $25k per year.

Anyone have any advice or comments, especially about land value in that area (a bit of the road leading from route 4 to Kirirom gate), potential yields or income from farming myself and what I could expect to get from middle men

forgot to add that there are currently 3 families living on the site including the brother of the owner who has been there for about 20 years and who are all willing to stay on

Cheers
A
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Should I buy a Mango Farm

Post by phuketrichard »

1 ha, 10,000 sq m...so ur talking 250,000 sq m and its going to cost u $1.8/sq m =$450,000??
wow ur rolling in it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

i am guessing the op did not make his money on his own wits if he needs to ask a bunch of broke bitter teachers and old expats advice.

do your own research and make your own mind up after you have facts not fiction or peoples opinions
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You realize that as a foreigner you cannot own land in your name right? You can purchase it via the nominee system, but if you're going to spend that amount of money you had better make sure all the paperwork is legally water tight.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Element6 wrote:

forgot to add that there are currently 3 families living on the site including the brother of the owner who has been there for about 20 years and who are refusing to leave

Cheers
Fixed that for you.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Do you have a Cambodian spouse/true love partner?

Do you have any experience of farming / the realities of rural life with all its stupidities / spites /
jealousies?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic