Speaking Thai in Cambodia...

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Suksan1
Tourist

Speaking Thai in Cambodia...

Post by Suksan1 »

Greetings! I have lived in TH for a few years and i am fluent in Thai and now plan to relocate to Cambodia fairly soon. On my visit to PP i noticed that quite a few locals speak Thai (primarily because they previously worked in TH). Question: How about Battambang...(or even Pailin). Could I get by speaking Thai?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Speaking Thai in Cambodia...

Post by Username Taken »

Sawat dii, krup!

In most border towns you should be able to get by with Thai exclusively.
Most Khmers that I've known/met from Battambang seem to know Thai. I think they learn it at school. Whether you can get by exclusively with Thai in Battambang, I couldn't say, but when that fails, English shouldn't be a problem.

Chok dii krup!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

definitely. just as Surin and other eastern areas of Th were Cambodian, the western provinces of Cambodia were Thai, in relatively recent times.
John Bingham may give specific timescales.
Around BB the cuisine is more Thai in terms of the spiciness than is generally found nationally.

Unlike Thailand though- you will find many English speakers in provincial areas.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tbh im not sure, the level of english outside touristy areas i find is pretty low, i find it far easier to get by speaking english in Thailand
the people who can speak english here though speak much better + clearer english than the Thais i find
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic