Driving a Cambodian-plated car into Thailand banned?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
wwguigrh
Tourist

Driving a Cambodian-plated car into Thailand banned?

Post by wwguigrh »

I was planning to drive a Cambodian-plated car to from Cambodia to Indonesia (via Thailand) but then I came across this:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/wor ... t-controls
http://tta.customs.go.th/Announce/Summary.pdf

Apparently there is some kind of new law in Thailand banning Cambodian-plated vehicles from driving in Thailand beyond the province that they entered from, because Cambodia hasn't signed a "pact" or agreement with Thailand on traffic rights, whereas Thailand HAS signed an agreement with Malaysia, Singapore and Laos (vehicles from those 3 countries will continue to have no entry restrictions). The law took effect on June 27th 2016.

As I said, I was planning on driving a Cambodian-plated car from Cambodia, through Thailand, and then onto Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (as that is the only overland way to get to these countries). How will I be able to do this now with this onerous new law? This new law would appear to make it impossible to drive from Cambodia to Malaysia, Singapore etc via Thailand. Is anyone familiar with shipping cars from Cambodia to other countries in order to get around Thailand? (Or car ferry from Cambodia to Malaysia?)

They said that a tour group will be required from now on for any Cambodian-plated cars entering Thailand, and that such a tour group will have to supervise the driver (as is the case for anyone driving to China). Does anyone know of a tour group that is doing this?

Does anyone know if Cambodia will, at any point in the future, make an official traffic "agreement" with Thailand (like the way Laos, Malaysia and Singapore already have?)

Is it possible to live in Cambodia with a Laos-plated car? (Because that would solve the problem of driving in Thailand).

It is my understanding that Cambodian-plated cars are restricted from driving into Vietnam (and China as well), so does that mean that the only place Cambodian-plated cars can drive to now is Laos?
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Driving a Cambodian-plated car into Thailand banned?

Post by SinnSisamouth »

just buy a thai plated car in can.
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Am not sure it has been put into effect.

you need apply in advance for permission.
requirements thou are u must exit where you drove in so overland and exiting via sadao might not be allowed.

It was really made effective cause of the way Chinese drove and acted with their cars here.

You might be able o just go and try, I suggest you use the Osmach or Hat Lek borders to cross as those are the ones i use when i drive my thai car into Cambodia an they are very relaxed on both sides,AVOID Poi Pet
To enter the car must be in ur name and you mus buy insurance for thailand ( and than again for Malaysia)
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I thought they banned all cars in thailand because of those pesky chinks?
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

on the same note, how about driving khmer car to vietnam?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Tried Ha Tien & was denied. Offer of $10.00 was refused. Possibly more may have worked but only to anticipate more problems once in VN. Motorcycles seems no problem.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Luigi wrote:Tried Ha Tien & was denied. Offer of $10.00 was refused. Possibly more may have worked but only to anticipate more problems once in VN. Motorcycles seems no problem.
what did u do then? turned back?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Yes.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I am doubtful the new requirements are yet in effect. I know of three people who have gone to Bangkok/Pataya with their cars from mid July to mid August.
shorttimereader
Tourist

Post by shorttimereader »

Anyone have any recent info ( allowed? ---Insurance cost?) on driving a PP plated car through the Koh Kong or Pailin border points? I need new tyres for my car and can't get that size here (195 or 205/50R15). I've found them online in Thailand, and don't really want all the hassle of transporting them across the border by hand. But would it be easier than the driving alternative? Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic