Surrogate mother businesses are moving to Cambodia.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Surrogate mother businesses are moving to Cambodia.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

What could possibly go wrong ? It's ethical, it's beautiful...and ... it's Cambodian clinics. :wtf:
Cambodia proves fertile ground for foreign surrogacy after Thailand ban
With surrogacy bans now in place in Thailand, India and Nepal, the business is being pushed across borders.

“Many would-be parents whose budget limits them to Asia have no other options than to try their luck in Cambodia, especially gay couples,” says Sam Everingham, director of the Australian non-profit organisation Families Through Surrogacy, which informs aspiring parents on overseas surrogacy options.

Everingham has observed how agencies and clinics forced to close in Thailand simply moved their lucrative business into Cambodia, where infertility treatment was non-existent until two years ago.

Today, clinics in the capital, Phnom Penh, are offering IVF and embryo-transfers, and agencies offer services for overseas couples. Some claim to be fully booked for months. Here, surrogacy packages start at $33,000 (£25,400), compared with $90,000-$150,000 in the US.

“We have to be aware that surrogacy is a foreign concept in Cambodia. No laws are in place to regulate the process, leaving both parents and surrogates unprotected,” warns Everingham.

For Preeti Bista, owner of the Nepalese surrogacy agency My Fertility Angel, the unclear rules and low costs are precisely what make Cambodia an attractive place to set up what she says will be an ethical surrogacy business. “Since surrogacy has been put on hold in Nepal, I have both desperate surrogates and parents calling me non-stop, asking me if I can help them. I am now trying to do just that in Cambodia. The key is to provide transparency to all parties involved.”

Bista has been accused of exploiting people’s poverty and lack of options. She says all she does is to help people have babies – “the most beautiful thing in the world”...
https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... ailand-ban
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Surrogate mother businesses are moving to Cambodia.

Post by John Bingham »

I hope this gets closed down really soon, it's despicable exploitation.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Despicable? Exploitative?

Assuming all goes well, there are plenty of fertile women in Cambodia who would be willing to do the job for the money mentioned in the article - around $8,000 (depending on the exchange rate.)

Worked out by the month, that's a pretty decent salary, by local standards. If a healthy woman did it five or ten times, she's be
coming into riches.

But how about if the biological fatherand mother parents (assuming that there IS a female momma whose own daddy-fertilised ovum is being used) reject the child because the baby is born disabled or blind? Or maybe they split up and want to cancel the whole deal.

There are more than enough social/ethical issues here to keep the debating society busy for weeks.
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

Most of us are from societies in which large families are increasingly rare, so the idea of a woman giving birth ten or more times is
alarming, if not appalling.

However, Hutterite women in North America used to have ten or more healthy* children and regard it as natural.

http://family.jrank.org/pages/837/Hutte ... ility.html

The Hutterite birthrate is lower now, probably five or six births per woman. Higher than the North American norm, but not
dramatically so.

* The Bedu woman in the families of Saudi National Guard recruits often gave birth to a dozen or more children, but
used to accept it as natural that a third - or more - of their children would die in infancy.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

there are cheaper methods to father a baby in cambodia :beer3:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote:I hope this gets closed down really soon, it's despicable exploitation.
Yea, women should be restricted to earning $10 a boom boom.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

Duncan wrote:
John Bingham wrote:I hope this gets closed down really soon, it's despicable exploitation.
Yea, women should be restricted to earning $10 a boom boom.
It is outa control here .

50 dollars for ST on average.

As usually .

No customer put price up.
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

thailand had the surrogacy for single men even. a japanese single male had around 26 babies born to him in thailand & when the media got a hold of it he fled to cambodia with 5 of the babies.
wtf!
thru shit to more shit
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

50 dollars for ST on average.
not from what i have been told
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

depend on where you bought it, walmart or macy
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic