Koh Samui: Tourists arrested and drug tested.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Koh Samui: Tourists arrested and drug tested.

Post by vladimir »

Retardedwaitress wrote:Agreed but the phils isnt targeting foreigners .
:D

Yeah, agree, no SE Asian country would ever target richer foreigners.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

Anchor Moy wrote:Drugs are illegal in most countries PR. I think you have been in Thailand too long if you consider that police rounding up random tourists and submitting them to drug tests is normal. In most countries this is not normal. Thailand is definitely not "most countries", but a lot of tourists don't realise the extent of the restrictions on individual liberties. As things are becoming increasingly restrictive, visitors should be aware of that.

For me this was a story because everyone (who is not an expat living in Thailand for 30 years) does not know these things ... starting with the 32 tourists before they were arrested. Lol. I'm sure word will get around.

Sorry, what things are becoming increasingly restrictive ?
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

Because they are unable humans.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote:Drugs are illegal in most countries PR. I think you have been in Thailand too long if you consider that police rounding up random tourists and submitting them to drug tests is normal. In most countries this is not normal. Thailand is definitely not "most countries", but a lot of tourists don't realise the extent of the restrictions on individual liberties. As things are becoming increasingly restrictive, visitors should be aware of that.

For me this was a story because everyone (who is not an expat living in Thailand for 30 years) does not know these things ... starting with the 32 tourists before they were arrested. Lol. I'm sure word will get around.
I remember hearing about this random drug testing in Thailand before I first visited there in 1999. I mentioned it to some foreigners partying on Khao San and they laughed at me like I was crazy. Me, I'm a bit more careful.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

John Bingham wrote:I remember hearing about this random drug testing in Thailand before I first visited there in 1999. I mentioned it to some foreigners partying on Khao San and they laughed at me like I was crazy. Me, I'm a bit more careful.
This. AM is talking rubbish there, the onus is on the tourists to find out about drug laws in a country they go to. I am not an expat that has lived in Thailand for 30 years but I do remember the signs on arrival warning visitors of harsh punishments doled out for drug offenses. Those signs have gone, but they should not really be necessary in the days of Google.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yes, I was surprised (by the random drug-testing), so perhaps I'm naive, but I hadn't heard about this on Koh Samui before. But, i don't think it's rubbish to say that many young and foolish foreigners don't know about Thai drug laws for personal use. That smoking cannabis is a serious offense etc.

The internet has not made clueless kids any smarter either. I googled 'thailand drugs' and I got this: :facepalm:
Brother Nature

Ok, I'm off to Thailand in just a couple of weeks and really need to know
the following:

1. What drugs are available?(I mean recreational. I've no interest in Thai
pharmacy drugs unless we're talking synthetic opiates or ritalin)

2. How much cheaper are they?

3. What are the police like (i.e. if I get caught, can I look forward to
being shot).

4. Where's the good nightlife??

Thanks in advance (unless no-one replies, in which case YOU BASTARDS).
batshitcrazyweirdo
Expatriate
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by batshitcrazyweirdo »

I was thinking it had to do with it being an 'illegal' bar or club, and maybe did not pay the cops their tea money.

I've heard of them doing it in Indonesia, especially at The Stadium, but if you knew security in charge of the place they could get you out through trap doors and smuggle you out before the cops get their hands on you.

But Thailand? Random drug tests. Never heard of that unless they catch you with drugs on you.

Course, haven't lived in Thailand for a while.
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

If you wanna smoke weed, try the US West coast, or places like Portugal instead, where it has been legalized for private use.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic