HERE HE IS - the avocado man

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: HERE HE IS - the avocado man

Post by bolueeleh »

it takes 10 years to fruit?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

3-5, I think.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

The Avocado is a thirsty tree (and so is the banana plant)

Here is an eco-boo-hoo article in the Gruaniad

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... cado-toast
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

More on the Avocado Ethics #101 debate

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/gu ... n-its-own/
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Post by mammothboy2 »

The avocado debate in the Youkay Grauniad grinds on for 24 pages - like doing a degree in the subject:

This is a typical ass-backwards article -- you start with a potentially very important story, the notion of environmental spoilage to fuel the demand for cash crops and then somehow link it to the hate group du jour through some weird culinary adaptation.

Lets get some focus here. Avocados are both a cash crop and a backyard shade tree. They are also living proof that money does indeed grow on trees -- a single tree can generate hundreds of the things which at a dollar or more each at the local supermarket represents a lot of money. Enough for growers to be very wary of gangs raiding their orchards, in fact. Since they grow pretty much wild in Southern California once established I'm going to take "pesticide / fertilizer" environmental disaster with a pinch of salt; this stuff costs money so if you can run an orchard without it, great. They also don't like too much water -- if you're going to irrigate, use a drip feed.

Incidentally, if you don't like rich people ("who can afford avocados") then you'll absolutely hate one of the primary uses of avocado orchards where I live. They make great privacy screens so what you do is plonk down your mansion in the middle of a large orchard. You don't actually farm the avocados -- you let someone else do that for you -- but I daresay you get a hefty tax write-off for your 'ranch'.

Other contributors have asserted that avocados are not thirsty and coexist just fine with poultry ...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

they need good drainage.
3 years to first fruit in a GRAFTED tree
season is on now.
$1.25.kg
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Demand for avocados is increasing in Cambodia and there is definitely room to develop avocado cultivation for the local market ...

A ripe market for avocados
Thu, 26 January 2017
Cheng Sokhorng

Avocados have never been a big part of the Khmer diet, making infrequent appearances in dessert dishes or drenched in condensed milk as a smoothie. But a small local market for the green pear-shaped fruit is forming, and experts say it could be a profitable crop for intrepid farmers.

Lor Reaksmey, spokesman of the Ministry of Agriculture, said avocados were previously imported in small quantities from Vietnam, but in recent years farmers in mountainous northeastern Cambodia have cultivated the trees on their land. A growing expat community and increasing local awareness of the purported health benefits of the fruit – which is rich in cholesterol-lowering fat and chock full of vitamins and antioxidants – have created a small but vibrant market.

“We’ve seen the amount of avocado cultivation growing because people are now understanding the benefits of the fruit, and it has started to become popular in markets,” he said. “However, avocado farming has not yet attracted investors and is still limited to small farms.”

Originally from what is now Mexico, avocados were first introduced to the region by the French in the 1940s. The fruit is widely grown in the Vietnamese highlands, where local varieties with their characteristic smooth green skin were developed.

According to Reaksmey, Vietnamese transplanted the first avocado trees to Cambodia during their campaign to expel the Khmer Rouge in 1979. A handful of local subsistence farmers continue to grow the fruit, and in recent years have found a market for their surplus.

Avocados flourish on well-drained soils in semi-tropical climates with a distinct cool season. The trees can grow over 10 metres in height and produce about 120 avocados a year, which like bananas mature on the tree but ripen only after picking.

According to Agriculture Ministry figures, avocado trees are grown on 40 hectares of smallholder farms, 30 of which are in Mondulkiri province and the remaining 10 in Ratanakkiri province...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/r ... t-avocados
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Bought ours (grafted) in Koh.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've always found local avocados to be disappointing. Very little taste, texture is usually off as well. Better than nothing, but it just makes anything except a shame somewhat of a disappointment. I guess the region's climate isn't good for the pimpled surfaced ones.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"my gf has seen them growing and fruiting in kampong cham."

Frank, does she happen to know the varietal name or province where the seeds originated?
The only ones I've seen in that area came from Mondolkiri.

"Bought ours (grafted) in Koh."

Where is Koh?

I'm interested in replanting, I lost my last trees to
some nasty worms(donkovduong) 1-2 years before they were ready to yield fruit. I really don't want to start with seeds again. Thank you both very much.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic