Koh Samui: Tourists arrested and drug tested.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Koh Samui: Tourists arrested and drug tested.

Post by Anchor Moy »

Welcome to Thailand folks. Have a fun holiday !

32 Tourists Facing Drug Charges Following Raid On Illegal Samui Bar
A raid on an illegal late-night bar on Koh Samui left dozens of tourists in cuffs after they tested positive for drugs.

Around 50 police and military personnel descended on the unnamed bar in Chaweng at around 3am and found the party in full swing with over 100 patrons on the premises.
Drug tests on both customers and staff were carried out and left 32 facing charges after returning positive results.
https://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/to ... samui-bar/
mammothboy2
Expatriate

Re: Koh Samui: Tourists arrested and drug tested.

Post by mammothboy2 »

Click on the link for the full ghastly story!

Among the crimes committed by those running this shebeen was "selling shisha"

Are there no limits to human depravity?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

mammothboy2 wrote: Click on the link for the full ghastly story!

Among the crimes committed by those running this shebeen was "selling shisha"

Are there no limits to human depravity?
I think the story is more about 32 people that tested positive for drugs.

I will continue to go to Thailand. Never been drug tested, never taken drugs so no fuss.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

drugs are illegal in Thailand, thats not new
cops often do random drug testing at clubs, thats not new
so whats the big story? That 32 backpackers/staff got rounded up?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Drugs are illegal in most countries PR. I think you have been in Thailand too long if you consider that police rounding up random tourists and submitting them to drug tests is normal. In most countries this is not normal. Thailand is definitely not "most countries", but a lot of tourists don't realise the extent of the restrictions on individual liberties. As things are becoming increasingly restrictive, visitors should be aware of that.

For me this was a story because everyone (who is not an expat living in Thailand for 30 years) does not know these things ... starting with the 32 tourists before they were arrested. Lol. I'm sure word will get around.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote:Drugs are illegal in most countries PR. I think you have been in Thailand too long if you consider that police rounding up random tourists and submitting them to drug tests is normal. In most countries this is not normal. Thailand is definitely not "most countries", but a lot of tourists don't realise the extent of the restrictions on individual liberties. As things are becoming increasingly restrictive, visitors should be aware of that.

For me this was a story because everyone (who is not an expat living in Thailand for 30 years) does not know these things ... starting with the 32 tourists before they were arrested. Lol. I'm sure word will get around.
The police have been doing random drug tests for years, long before the army took over. And if, as a visitor, you are not aware of the drug laws of the country you are in, you are a twat.....
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as above, who said anything about normal?
drug testing is not new in Thailand and has been covered for years in the news along with the harsh penalties for being caught
if some fool thinks it's legal cause he is on a party island and it does not affect him...... well ignorance is no excuse.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

skru thailand and phils
Retardedwaitress
Expatriate

Post by Retardedwaitress »

frank lee bent wrote:skru thailand and phils
Agreed but the phils isnt targeting foreigners .
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

oh, maybe you never heard of the hundreds of cases where the airport thugs "find" a bullet or 2 in tourists luggage then soak them for thousands on the quiet?
any kind of scam they have in west africa was likely originated in phils :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic