moving with family to Cambodia in Dec

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
clareindxb
Tourist

moving with family to Cambodia in Dec

Post by clareindxb »

Hello!
Just writing to introduce myself and ask all the usual questions I am sure everyone is tired of seeing on a forum!
We're planning a move to Cambodia at the end of the year, to take some time out from stressful jobs and high cost of living in our home country (UK) and current country of residence (UAE). We're bringing our one child (age 10).
After brief but not exhaustive research we like the idea of Siem Reap over PP but maybe those with children in this age bracket would be able to advise or put me straight, in terms of community/things going on/day to day life.
Currently looking into schools and ideally looking for British Curriculum as it's highly likely we'll end up back in Blighty at some stage, so continuity is good for our case. Looking into International School and St George's which looks rather new (alarm bells or a good thing?).
Would my husband need to drive or is it easy enough getting by without our own wheels?
SR seems like cycling or scooters are commonly used - a bit of a change from SUV/4x4 8 lane highways in Dubai :-)
Also did anyone bring their cat with them? Making inquiries with a pet relocator and have good info but no idea of price and how complicated it gets. Any wisdom appreciated!
And medical insurance - do people usually use a good travel insurance plan or do you get the full monty expat health insurance that's all-singing-all-dancing?
Thank you so much in advance
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: moving with family to Cambodia in Dec

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi Clare.
Welcome to CEO. I don't know anything about living in SR, but it could be helpful to sign on to the Siem Reap Expats page on facebook to find out how things work locally.
You will need some sort of insurance plan here.There is a thread on health insurance here : https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/topic6314.html

I'm sure people here will have more advice for you. You could start with checking out threads with titles like "Moving to Cambodia". I think there is a thread on pets somewhere.

Have you been to Cambodia before ? You know why it's called Kingdom of Wonder, right ?
Cheers, AM
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

It is called the Kingdom of Wonder because you will often wonder wtf someone was thinking.
clareindxb
Tourist

Post by clareindxb »

thanks folks! Yes, I think we know what we're in for, or as much as you can before you actually live there... Had a good introduction to 'wtf' after UAE for 6 years! Will check out the FB page suggested.
All wisdom appreciated!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic