Maintaining your fanny

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Maintaining your fanny

Post by Duncan »

You would wonder why anyone would want to repair a fan when you can go and buy a new one for $9 to $10 . But when you have one in each bedroom in a 6 bed house and another 3 in my PP apartment you can understand why. Besides , I like doing small jobs like that. You will notice that most fans after 6 months of continues running, the fans not only need cleaning but they start to run slower and slower and eventually stop or burn out from overheating, due to being clogged up with dust and the bearing in the front and mostly the bush at the back run dry of oil.
Also the front plate , [ as in photo ] gets brittle and disintegrates, but can be fixed by cutting a bit of plastic to enforce it.

Make sure you line up all 3 locating lugs before tightening the plastic nut, and don't over tighten as they break.

Don't over tighten this screw at the back that holds on the back cover, as on some, the screw touches the end of the armature shaft.

WD40 [ penetration oil ] will free up any stiffness in the armature shaft, but it is not the best as a long-term lubricant . I use a oil ,, suck up a little in a small dia size hose and put it on the shaft at the back end, giving it a few sharp taps to help the oil get into the bush. Do the same at the front end with the bearing.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: Maintaining your fanny

Post by bolueeleh »

:thumb:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Thanks for posting this Duncan.
A couple of months ago we had two fans seize up. My wife wanted to put motor oil in them, but I had never heard of that and told her to take them to the fan fixer guy.
A couple of days later, YaTingPom, from elsewhere, posted about how he had fixed his fan with a couple of drops of oil. [Silly me]

Do you still have some film left in the camera Duncan? Where exactly do we put the oil when the fan stops turning?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Username Taken wrote:Thanks for posting this Duncan.
A couple of months ago we had two fans seize up. My wife wanted to put motor oil in them, but I had never heard of that and told her to take them to the fan fixer guy.
A couple of days later, YaTingPom, from elsewhere, posted about how he had fixed his fan with a couple of drops of oil. [Silly me]

Do you still have some film left in the camera Duncan? Where exactly do we put the oil when the fan stops turning?

Sorry I ran out of film about 10 years ago. But here's a photo of the armature shaft , bush end. you only need a couple of drops of oil, then tap the shaft to work the oil into the bush and do same on the other side then same other bearing end.

Also , I always dismantle the osolating mechanism that makes he fan wave from side to side. You would understand that these fans are built cheaply and the motor is barely strong enough to turn the fan blade, never mind the extra power needed through the gear and cog system to make it wave side to side.

Remember you are only working on a $10 piece of equipment so even if you fuck it up you would still have learnt something.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Thanks Duncan!
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Finding someone who can do maintenance on ceiling fans is really difficult. We ended up buying new ones since the price was equivalent.
Scarier than malaria.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kia-ora Duncan, it worked!! :thumb:

I used Selleys RP7. Yeah, I know oil would have been better. Next time.

Now, what is the trick to getting this screw at the rear back in again? I can't get it in the hole! Maybe I'll try closing my eyes.

SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

should of put that screw in first maybe
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've never seen that happen to a fan. The repair looks solid, but shouldn't there be more ventilation there?

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Username Taken wrote:Kia-ora Duncan, it worked!! :thumb:

I used Selleys RP7. Yeah, I know oil would have been better. Next time.

Now, what is the trick to getting this screw at the rear back in again? I can't get it in the hole! Maybe I'll try closing my eyes.
All sorted now. :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic