One way flight + business visa

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: One way flight + business visa

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
xavoy wrote:Hey all, thank you so much for sharing your experiences!

We're flying from Australia, and the stopover in Singapore is a couple of hours, hopefully long enough to book a flight or bus out online if we're approached. Your replies are comforting tho!
AFAIK, if you are going to have a problem with the airline (refusing to let you board with a one-way ticket), it will be when you go to check-in in Australia, so that's where you would have to take measures if necessary. Once you're on the plane I think you're good.

And welcome to CEO etc. If you have questions, just ask. We are happy to help most of the time. :beer3: Have you been to Cambodia before ?

yeah i 2nd this, the only time ive ever had a problem at a check in regards to a one way ticket was when i was flying from Auckland in NZ to PP cambodia, i could tell the check in girl was new and wanted to go by the book and asked for my onward travel, i said i dont have any because i live there, she said i needed onward travel, i again repeated that i didnt because i dont plan to leave any time soon, and i was trying to explain i had only gone over to NZ to visit my cousin and go to the famous Nz Tattoo and Art festival, she still wasnt getting it so i told her to call her manager, to which i showed her the about 15+ cambodian visas and extensions i had in my passport, to which i could tell this manager was trying to set an example to the new recruit and was playing hardball with me as well...

i was only allowed on the flight due to me having pre booked a hotel in thailand as i was planning on popping over for christmas (2014) as i have family who live there, and luckily the dates worked out a couple of days before the 30day limit, i showed them my booking.com booking and they saw that as enough "evidence" to let me on the plane :facepalm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

I also had problems at heathrow on a one way ticket,I had as backup a bus ticket to Saigon but never showed it,they made me sign a disclaimer that they were not liable for repatriating me.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Which airline? It was the airline not heathrow that wanted the proof.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

heathrow have sometimes checked my Thai visa, as i used to always get a double entry Thai Visa before hand as it comes in handy somtimes, this year i already had onward flights to Cambodia but was never checked, its a load of bollocks really though, they issue a visa on arrival, the only reason why they check is something to do with if you get a VOA refused the airline get fined or something and made to ship you back
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Username Taken wrote:^^ Which airline? It was the airline not heathrow that wanted the proof.
It has always been the airline, government shoving the responsibility to the airlines, thats why the anal questioning
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and further info.

I guess it's best that if there is an issue it's here in Australia where I speak the language, will have phone reception, and know a little more about how things work. I've found a place that lets me book bus tickets online (camboticket.com). It will cost us $25USD each to get a ticket from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, which we'll try and avoid, but at least it won't cost us our life savings if we've got to book a ticket at the airport so we can get on the plane.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!

Anchor Moy wrote:Have you been to Cambodia before ?
We have been once, but it was about ten years ago. We've spent a bit of time in South East Asia generally tho, mostly in Thailand, but also Vietnam. Most recently was six weeks in 2014. From what we can garner it seems Cambodia has come along a bit since our trip ten years ago, but we're not afraid of some rough edges too. Tho I'll undoubtedly be eating my words before long and expect to find more than a few irritating aspects of the place haha!
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

On the scale of severity of 1 to 10, irritating is probably 2 or 3 on the scale, somethings can kill you in cambodia. :D
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
xavoy
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by xavoy »

bolueeleh wrote:On the scale of severity of 1 to 10, irritating is probably 2 or 3 on the scale, somethings can kill you in cambodia. :D
We'll do our best to avoid those things haha ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

xavoy wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:On the scale of severity of 1 to 10, irritating is probably 2 or 3 on the scale, somethings can kill you in cambodia. :D
We'll do our best to avoid those things haha ;)
Maniacs on the road are difficult to avoid since there are so many of them. You will need some insurance, and also a bit of red string to tie around your wrist.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

The General an arty type?
More like a farty type.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic