Khmer Language Resource: KHMER FRIENDS School (Phnom Penh or by Skype)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Lefferts
Tourist

Khmer Language Resource: KHMER FRIENDS School (Phnom Penh or by Skype)

Post by Lefferts »

I know people are occasionally looking for professional instruction in Khmer language here, so I wanted to share my recommendation.

I have been studying Khmer with "KHMER FRIENDS" school in Phnom Penh for a few years. They offer one on one or small group lessons in person or by Skype, and can fashion lessons to your interests (conversation, reading, writing, etc.) and whatever level of intensity you prefer (many hours/wk. to just one or two, e.g.).

I have worked with a number of their teachers and think very highly of their ability and dedication. When in Cambodia I spend time working intensively at the school (I just returned to the U.S. after four months intensive study) and when in U.S. I have continued lessons via Skype. Lessons are reasonably priced ($5 for an individual in person, $7 Skype).

For more details check out: their website http://khmerfriends.org/

By the way, you'll find on their website that they are a "Christian-based organization", and some of the students who I met at KF have come to Cambodia to work with Christian organizations. When I first found the website a couple years ago, I was a little concerned that might be a source of discomfort for me, as I am not Christian and am not interested in being around folks who want to proselytize their religion. But there is absolutely no problem for someone who is not Christian to study with them - I have never felt uncomfortable for a moment in the school or in my lessons, and no one has ever even asked whether I was Christian, nor have any of the materials used have a religious orientation.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Khmer Language Resource: KHMER FRIENDS School (Phnom Penh or by Skype)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ill have the 2nd teacher on the left orkun
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic