Where to stay in PP and around?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rexdart
Tourist

Where to stay in PP and around?

Post by rexdart »

I had the pleasure of visiting Cambodia 4 years ago and I understand a bit has changed since then. I stayed at lakeside during my previous visit, but I understand it no longer exists. Have you any tips for some humble backpacker accommodation? I guess it would be riverside at this point but I am clueless about what exists in that neighborhood.

If you have any tips for cities/attractions that I should visit please let me know. Of course I will be doing some research online, but it can't match a local's knowledge. Thanks for the help!
Cambod
Site Admin

Re: Where to stay in PP and around?

Post by Cambod »

rexdart wrote:I had the pleasure of visiting Cambodia 4 years ago and I understand a bit has changed since then. I stayed at lakeside during my previous visit, but I understand it no longer exists. Have you any tips for some humble backpacker accommodation? I guess it would be riverside at this point but I am clueless about what exists in that neighborhood.

If you have any tips for cities/attractions that I should visit please let me know. Of course I will be doing some research online, but it can't match a local's knowledge. Thanks for the help!
Technically, the Lake "Side" is still there somewhat, but the lake is long gone.

I believe they actually have at least 2 guesthouses there for cheap.

Best areas now are probably Street 172 and, to a lesser extent, Steet 258.

There are a numerous places on Street 172 starting at around $6 up. 1 popular place I like is called LongLin Guesthouse. Cool owners and very helpful staff.

A lot of good, cheap eats around there too, notably Blue Dolphin and La Dolce Vida.

And street 172 isn't too far from the RiverSide either.

When will you be coming?? Let me know and we'll definitely meet up for a drink.
rexdart
Tourist

Post by rexdart »

I plan to be there in less than a week I suppose. We made it to Siem Reap today (after our bus creamed a motorbike with three people on it). I seem to recall a Mexican restaurant on the riverfront that has a sister restaurant at Otres Beach. Do you know what I am talking about? I can't remember the name.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

you are talking about Viva - their Siem Reap branch is a lot better and a descent guesthouse too. I don't think they have a guesthouse attached in PP
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
Cambod
Site Admin

Post by Cambod »

rexdart wrote: I seem to recall a Mexican restaurant on the riverfront that has a sister restaurant at Otres Beach. Do you know what I am talking about? I can't remember the name.
Actually, I think you're talking about Cantina.

If so, the one on the RiverSide is still there, and the one on Otres burned down a couple years ago.

If you haven't been to Cambodia in a few years, you won't recognise Otres at all! They have a paved road almost all the way to the beach, and electricity now! It's almost a resort beach now, with several nice places with pools too.

Still very nice.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

ignore my post above - i for some reason thought of Siem Reap - morning before coffee isn't my best time
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic