Nine years old girl abducted by a group of foreigner men

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Nine years old girl abducted by a group of foreigner men

Post by Jerry Atrick »

More holes than a sieve in this story. Any follow up for clarity by reputable Khmer news outlets?
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Through his job my father in law is always involved in police matters concerning Ream.
Asking him about this story he said the police were convinced of it authenticity and are still looking for the perp.

Whatever happened, here is a couple of pictures of the orphanage cited in the articles. Now I never visited any orphanage so I wouldn't know if this is the norm, but it sure looks a bit austere to me:
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

This whole story sounds fishy as hell. And the orphanage looks more like a prison, begging the question how the child was grabbed. And a week on we have no confirmation of the perpetrator's identity.

2 + 2 = 4, sounds like it was an internal issue.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Anything ever come of this?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

LTO wrote:Anything ever come of this?
Yes, a lot of Cambodians got very angry at foreigners. I've just about stopped reading the papers again as they're more or less a fucking joke.

I think a fight should be arranged between the police and the journos to decide which are the most corrupt and useless once and for all.

I suspect your thinking "damage control" and you may be right. What we need is a mole.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

If you want to get controversial... this is Sunrise, who had no problem lying about the provenience of their "child victim" images... could their dishonesty have spread to...?
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

No, I don't see any reason at this point of suspecting Sunrise of anything. The kid was just walking home from school or something, right?

But I am curious about this claim that "foreigners" are abducting Cambodian kids from the countryside. If there was something to this story I would think that would require some sort of conclusion or at least follow-up. Did the police capture these evil foreigners or are they still on the loose, perhaps preying on other Cambodian countryside kids?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

LTO wrote:No, I don't see any reason at this point of suspecting Sunrise of anything. The kid was just walking home from school or something, right?

But I am curious about this claim that "foreigners" are abducting Cambodian kids from the countryside. If there was something to this story I would think that would require some sort of conclusion or at least follow-up. Did the police capture these evil foreigners or are they still on the loose, perhaps preying on other Cambodian countryside kids?
I guess you have been in this country long enough to be able to tell how Cambodian police work. Do you really think that Cambodia police are really active like those back home who clearly know their job. For most of cases, they don't do follow up.

You should also doubt about the foreigner who was killed and stuffed in a suitcase. How is it now? Has the killer identified? I guess not, because they don't do any follow up investigations at all.

Also, i wasn't trying to make foreigners look bad or evil. I only wrote what i heard from people and the child's parents when i went to the police station.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic