Koh Samui speedboat accident - three tourists dead, one British man missing.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Koh Samui speedboat accident - three tourists dead, one British man missing.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Speedboat accident off Koh Samui on Thursday evening:
Three foreigners have been confirmed dead with one British man still missing after a speedboat capsized off Koh Samui on Thursday evening.
ImageImageImage

The Aang Thong Discovery 3 was heading to Lomphraya pier on Samui with 32 tourists on board from a diving trip, plus a tour guide and three crew when it capsized at around 5pm after hitting rough seas.

The three women confirmed dead are 28-year-old Brit Monica Cozma and Kafo Franeiska, 29, from Germany who were both pronounced dead at the scene with the body of a 30-year-old Hong Kong woman being recovered during a search on Friday morning.

Of the 28 passengers pulled from the sea by rescuers and taken to hospital, four remain in the care of medical staff including a Romanian woman and a German man, with the other survivors being discharged earlier following treatment for minor injuries.

The search for the body of a British man named as Jason Robert Parnell continues...

https://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/to ... -accident/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Koh Samui speedboat accident - three tourists dead, one British man missing.

Post by hanno »

The vessel was equipped with life-jackets but many of the divers opted not to wear them, according to the captain.
I have seen that on Thai boats, life jackets are only put on when a police control is imminent....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Koh Samui speedboat accident - three tourists dead, one British man missing.

Thai speedboat ‘had not left shore in recent days due to bad weather
Image Photograph: EPA

The speedboat that capsized in Thailand leaving at least one Briton and two others dead had not been allowed to go out to sea in recent days due to bad weather, according to a travel agent.

A British woman has been confirmed dead and a British man, named by police as Jason Parnell, is among the missing after the incident on Thursday afternoon, which killed at least three foreign tourists.

Parnell and his wife, Puja Parnell, who is said to have escaped without injury, were among 32 tourists and four crew on board when a large wave crashed into the Angthong Discovery Tour boat. The couple, from Peterborough, had been on a romantic break to the island to celebrate their first wedding anniversary, the Sun reports.

At least one other Briton was taken to hospital. Others were understood to have been treated then discharged. The British woman has been named by Thai police as 28-year-old Monica Cozma, according to reports.

The boat capsized near a rocky stretch of coast in the Gulf of Thailand, an area popular with European tourists. Amm Pontfuk, a travel agent who has worked with the operator for a number of years, said on Friday that the boat had not been out on the water in recent days due to rough conditions.

“This company is the number one for my travel agency. I have sent the manager customers for years, I have known him a long time,” she told the Press Association. “He is very concerned and professional. Normally in bad weather he doesn’t go out – he did not go out for three days already – and yesterday he thought the weather was OK and that was why he went out.

“The wind blew very, very strong and it made the boat go under the waves and flip..."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m ... ad-weather
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

in the 90s we had a scary experience in a speedboat from ko phnang ghan.rough seas and big fuck off waves

fortunately me and my mate were still hammered so thought it was hilarious listening to the girls screaming and us flying up in the air by four feet!

two weeks later it capsized!
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Not good weather for diving surely. But good weather for dying.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Putting money over safety. Being a merchant mariner, before I go on a boat in Thailand or Cambodia I look at the weather, what kind of boat it is, the number of people for how big the boat is, check for life jackets and look for an escape route. If I don't like any of these, I don't go and haven't.
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

As I said in the " Is Thailand Safe " thread it's the boring old road and maritime basics that make Thailand a more dangerous place to be a tourist than most. It's not the isolated random headline grabbing isolated murder, rape or street attack that you need to worry about, all modes of transportation are the biggest danger. But as Sailorman points out you pay your money you take your choice, there was clearly a weather risk and I guess people just think it won't happen to them.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

CowshedCowboyRedux wrote:As I said in the " Is Thailand Safe " thread it's the boring old road and maritime basics that make Thailand a more dangerous place to be a tourist than most. It's not the isolated random headline grabbing isolated murder, rape or street attack that you need to worry about, all modes of transportation are the biggest danger. But as Sailorman points out you pay your money you take your choice, there was clearly a weather risk and I guess people just think it won't happen to them.

This. I am frequently in LOS and have never worried about getting murdered. The roads/boats/trains on the other hand....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

29 May 2016

Thailand speedboat capsize: Body of Jason Parnell found

The body of Briton Jason Parnell, who went missing after a speedboat capsized near the island of Koh Samui in Thailand, has been found, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

According to the AFP news agency, his body had been trapped among rocks.

The Foreign Office confirmed on Saturday that Briton Monica O'Connor had also been killed in the accident.

A total of three people were killed when the boat, with 32 passengers and four crew, capsized on Thursday.

It was on its way back to the popular island from Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park on Ko Pha Ngan island when it apparently hit rough waters.

The other victims were women from Hong Kong and Germany.

"We are supporting the family of a British woman who has sadly died following a boat accident near Koh Samui, Thailand," the Foreign Office said.

"We remain in contact with local authorities in Thailand."

The boat capsized at 17:00 local time (11:00 BST) and seven people remain in hospital with serious injuries.

The police have told the BBC the sea was rough and the winds strong at the time of the accident, which occurred just 300 metres from the shore...
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36407682

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic