Khmer Language Questions (Learning and Speaking Cambodian)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Khmer Language Questions (Learning and Speaking Cambodian)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote:^^ Girlfriends like that can be really annoying.
espeshially when youre sticking your willy up that hilly :evil:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

whats the name of that sugar cane drink? i drink it all the time but not sure of the name in khmer?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Dtuk ampouv. (spelling?)
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:whats the name of that sugar cane drink? i drink it all the time but not sure of the name in khmer?
You better learn how to say redbull in khmer since I still have that opened vodka bottle at taboo.
Care for further khmer studies this week ?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:whats the name of that sugar cane drink? i drink it all the time but not sure of the name in khmer?
You better learn how to say redbull in khmer since I still have that opened vodka bottle at taboo.
Care for further khmer studies this week ?
yeah sure mate let me know when youre free! :beer3:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Well done Jamie, I am impressed. The best phonetic for the sugar cane drink is dteuk ampou, same as chbar ampou. The suburb across the Monivong bridge, if girls ask where you come from then reply chbaa ampou. Its always hilarious, I don't know why. Literally it means sugar cane field but for some reason it is funny. I assume that you know how to pronounce ampou, it is quite easy bit pronuncitiaton is everything as you know.
We must catch up sometime, I enjoy your ability to learn Khmer. Most never bother, I always found it fun and know an awful lot yet it is never enough.
I hope to be back quite soon, I have returned five times over the last eighteen months so I am never far away.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

willyhilly wrote:Well done Jamie, I am impressed. The best phonetic for the sugar cane drink is dteuk ampou, same as chbar ampou. The suburb across the Monivong bridge, if girls ask where you come from then reply chbaa ampou. Its always hilarious, I don't know why. Literally it means sugar cane field but for some reason it is funny. I assume that you know how to pronounce ampou, it is quite easy bit pronuncitiaton is everything as you know.
We must catch up sometime, I enjoy your ability to learn Khmer. Most never bother, I always found it fun and know an awful lot yet it is never enough.
I hope to be back quite soon, I have returned five times over the last eighteen months so I am never far away.
yeah ive got a good idea how to pronounce it.... អំពៅ

yeah i know what you mean there! the times when i dont understand all of what someones just said to me, i can usually pick out some words and have a good idea what they meant, but theres still times when someone will ask me something and i havent got a clue what they just said,
i think its when they realise that you can speak khmer, so they speed up and speak all colingual, i guess its kind of the same when i speak to anyone other than english because if i spoke in my northern tongue they wouldnt have a clue what i say either lol

i used to think i had a good knowledge of the language but its the same as most things, the more you learn the more you realise you dont know lol but thats the fun of advancing

i find speaking to khmers on the phone is super difficult but very good practice, i used to try and avoid it but now i do it all the time, as often the people that call me up are my khmer friends that cant speak any english as they cant write sms so they call me/or i call them instead
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Duncan wrote:
Samouth wrote:A អេ
B ប៊ី
C ស៊ី
D ឌី
E អ៊ី
F អែហ្វ
G ជី
H អេច
I អាយ
J ជេ
K ខេ
L អិល
M អេម
N អេន
O អូរ
P ភី
Q ឃ្យូរ
R អ័រ
S អេស
T ធី
U យូរ
V វី
W ដាបប៊ែលយូរ
X អ៊ិច
Y វ៉ាយ
Z ហ្សិត

One day I will be smart enough to do that too.

[If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.]
Yes one day you will be smarter. a bit politer? :stir:
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Marcus-Darkus
Expatriate

Re: Khmer lessons related questions

Post by Marcus-Darkus »

Jacobincambodia wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Anyone have the number for a good Khmer teacher? I'm thinking of getting back into reading/writing. I speak Khmer fluently and have learned basic reading/writing before (and forgotten most of it), but I'd like to be more serious about it this time as I've got more free time than I used to.
Phalla: a really great teacher with a wide vocabulary. He's in his 30s.

Does he teach one-to-one?
Is he based in PP?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Khmer lessons related questions

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Marcus-Darkus wrote:
Jacobincambodia wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Anyone have the number for a good Khmer teacher? I'm thinking of getting back into reading/writing. I speak Khmer fluently and have learned basic reading/writing before (and forgotten most of it), but I'd like to be more serious about it this time as I've got more free time than I used to.
Phalla: a really great teacher with a wide vocabulary. He's in his 30s.

Does he teach one-to-one?
Is he based in PP?
drop him an email mate, jacobs not always that active on here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic