6 Things I Learned After Moving To Cambodia To Teach English (LifeHacker Article)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

6 Things I Learned After Moving To Cambodia To Teach English (LifeHacker Article)

Post by General Mackevili »

Here are the 6 things LILLIAN DOYLE learned after moving to Cambodia to teach English:

"Blurry-eyed and exhausted, I lumbered up to a member of airport security staff. I had just gotten off a flight from Singapore, and after the longest series of flights I have ever taken I had finally arrived at my last destination, Siem Reap. He simply asked “Singapore?” to which I responded with a croaky “yes”. He sent me in a different direction to the sign that said Passport Control and after confusingly looking in both directions three times, I realised he was sending me towards the gate to catch a flight to Singapore. I panicked “No wait, I’ve just come from Singapore!”. He laughed hysterically at the mistake, and in my worn-out state so did I, grateful that the Cambodian stereotype of being incredibly friendly showed itself to be true thus far...

...continued...

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: 6 Things I Learned After Moving To Cambodia To Teach English (LifeHacker Article)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i agree with her points about the less stress due to her breaking away from her first world problems, not for the same reasons though, back in england i get stressed over everyones first world problems, i dont have any, i think thats why i feel so comfortable here, same wavelength and all that jazz
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: 6 Things I Learned After Moving To Cambodia To Teach English (LifeHacker Article)

Post by cptrelentless »

Hmm, English teacher, eh? I thought you got off with slappers and you disembark from planes. Or just "deplane" in simplified.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Tsk.
It’s something I try not to do in class as a matter of personal preference, but in Cambodia it’s something you should definitely steer clear of.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic