Cambodia Work Permit Consultancy: All Foreigners With an "E" Visa Need a Work Permit

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Work Permit Consultancy: All Foreigners With an "E" Visa Need a Work Permit

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

"Announcement !!
Dear Expat In Siem Reap,

Now our Mol department and immigration in Siem Reap will go to check every company in Siem Reap and all apartments rental for people who don’t have work permit and over stay visa.

In case that they find :
-People who stay in Cambodia with E visa but don’t have work permit .
-People who working without work permit,
- People who have business without work permit ,
you will get the fine of $125 per year plus you have to make work permit immediately .

So please all the foreigners who lived in Cambodia with E visa and people who working or have business in Cambodia come to process the work permit.

For people who have work permit from last year please bring it to renew .

For more information or appointment please contact :088 76 36 678.
"
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia Work Permit Consultancy: All Foreigners With an "E" Visa Need a Work Permit

Post by juansweetpotato »

And where pray tell was this posted? Where did you get it from?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Cambodia Work Permit Consultancy: All Foreigners With an "E" Visa Need a Work Permit

Post by General Mackevili »

juansweetpotato wrote:And where pray tell was this posted? Where did you get it from?
The most reliable place everyone goes to get the facts, of course: FACEBOOK

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
ruralvoice
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia Work Permit Consultancy: All Foreigners With an "E" Visa Need a Work Permit

Post by ruralvoice »

Thanks for ruining my evening for a while. I don't live in Temple Town, but I packed my bags anyway. Bit since it's from The M.of F(ministry of Facebook),I'll unpack.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

"Our MoI department and immigration"
Sounds like a sales pitch from a private firm in the business of obtaining work permits for a price. Or is this a govt dept? And when the MoI and immigration department become theirs.

And when are the cops finally going to set up boothes at airport departure to catch foreigners without work permits? Next week has been a long time in coming.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Some noteworthy replies:

Text:
Spoiler:
Within the retired expat community, there has been great confusion over work permit requirements following comments made by the Interior and Labor Ministries regarding who requires a permit.

To clarify things, Labor Ministry spokesman Heng Sour told Khmer Times: “Retired foreigners can live in Cambodia without a work permit.”

If a foreign retiree isn’t employed in any capacity in the Kingdom, then only an immigration visa is needed to live in the country lawfully, Mr. Sour said.

March 17, 2016 at 7:09 am
If you are retired, no longer working, then you will no longer need a work permit in Cambodia. The Minister of Labor announced this in a Khmer Times article last year, and a friend of mine was told the same thing at the Immigration Department in Pochentong last week.

They are considering implementing a retirement visa, but it’s not in place yet. The official told my friend that he should get an ordinary visa (E-visa) and simply renew it every year. The cost for a one-year multiple-entry e-visa is just shy of $300. For the time being, at least, this is what they’re telling retirees.

An August 16 joint statement issued by the ministries of Interior and Labor warned that institutions that employ foreigners are obligated to ensure that employees have relevant visas, passports and work permits.

The statement is backed by a 1995 prakas entitled “The Management of Foreigners’ Work Permits,” which states that all foreigners employed in the country should possess either a temporary or permanent work permit.

The statement is very clear *all foreigners employed * it says nothing about foreigners who are not working.

I have my work permit done by an immigration officer. My wife and child don't need one as they are not working. I already renewed my WP for this year along with quota of local employment. And if there is a rule why should someone come to your office? Just mention the prakas and anybody can validate on a website or immigration rule book. You are surely spreading half true information to make money on consultancy

I've heard similar here in Battambang. It did not come from the source named here but maybe they started this rumour and it has spread.. From what little I've been able to find out they are telling the truth, but maybe it's all bullshit. Very confusing.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Will someone PLEASE tell me if I need a motorbike license or not?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

LTO wrote: Sounds like a sales pitch from a private firm in the business of obtaining work permits for a fee
This is exactly what it is!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

My own advice is avoid these agencies at all costs (pun)
Dodgy foreigners working with dodgy ministry officials to relieve you of hard-earned cash.
It is probably completely illegal for MoL officials to indulge in private enterprise during working hours.

iirc, a local newspaper ran an article written by a guy with an Italian name, and imho the only objective of the article was fear-mongering and to enrich the writer, not sure if one could call it collusion.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Two weeks before I left Siem Reap the MoI did do a door-to-door inspection of businesses and apartments and yes, they were selling work permits. I paid a small bribe and got them to leave as I explained I wouldn't be in Cambodia for long enough to process a work permit. They were very clear that if they came back and I had no work permit; I would be fined.

Unfortunately, these "agents" seem to have lobbied the MoI to do this so they can flog work permits....
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic