Call for Angkor Beer Boycott over 4000 Island Dam

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Call for Angkor Beer Boycott over 4000 Island Dam

Post by Anchor Moy »

In protest against the Don Sahong dam, which is being constructed close to the Laos-Cambodia border and funded by the Malaysian firm MFCB, affiliated with Cambrew, Angkor Beer's parent co., activists are calling on Cambodians to boycott Angkor beer. The dam is being built in Laos, but is expected to have a major impact on the Mekong downstream in Cambodia.
Members of civil society, a youth group and communities affected by the Don Sahong hydropower project have called for a boycott of Angkor Beer, claiming the brewer’s parent company Cambrew is funding the controversial project which started in December last year.

“If we drink a can of Angkor beer, we are destroying six million Cambodians living along the Mekong River. Please stop drinking Angkor Beer. Please join us in not consuming Angkor Beer for the lives of those six million people,” said Chum Hout, a representative of local NGO Youth for Social and Environmental Protection...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/23977/ ... -over-dam/

I guess that logically we should also boycott Beerlao, since it is the Laos govt who gave the go ahead for the 4000 Island dam construction in the first place.
I'm not sure that this latest boycott will do any good, but I'll support anything that might encourage some reflection on the projects to dam the Mekong. So, dam it, will have to drink Anchor :beer3:
Construction is already underway in the 4000 Islands.
With the Don Sahong dam, the environmental consequences would be severe. The proposed dam will be 25 metres high with an installed capacity of 260 MW. The dam threatens to have a serious impact on the migratory fisheries in the Mekong region.

Located in the Siphandone (Khone Falls) area of southern Laos, less than two kilometers upstream of the Laos-Cambodia border, the dam would block the Hou Sahong channel, the main channel for fish migrating between Cambodia, Laos and Thailand year around; however, the channel is especially important in the dry season when most other channels become impassable due to low water levels. The disruption of fish migrations through blocking of this vital channel means the destruction of vital subsistence and commercial fisheries in the Lower Mekong Basin 1.

However, despite the controversy and the huge environmental and livelihood impacts posed by the dam, the dam developers bluntly said at the Pakse regional consultation that they do not yet know and nobody really knows about the potential impacts to Cambodian communities, which are about two kilometers downstream from the dam site in Laos. The dam’s Malaysian developers Mega First Corporation Berhad say the project is forging ahead.
http://www.mekongcommons.org/don-sahong ... ergy-cost/
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Re: Call for Angkor Beer Boycott over 4000 Island Dam

Post by Fourkinnel »

That won't be a problem. Beer Lao only seems to taste good in Laos for some reason! All the stuff here has, Imported, on the label. Maybe we only get the second class chemicals added shit?
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

You should boycott Angkor beer anyway for the simple reason it is Angkor beer.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Fourkinnel wrote:That won't be a problem. Beer Lao only seems to taste good in Laos for some reason! All the stuff here has, Imported, on the label. Maybe we only get the second class chemicals added shit?
^^^This. The quality of Beer Lao in Thailand and Cambodia is very hit and miss, mostly miss. It must really deteriorate in the heat and travel on its way here. I usually can't drink the light Beer Lao, although the dark seems better.

On topic, I haven't had Angkor is quite some time, usually preferring Cambodia brand anyway. Easy boycott.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Fourkinnel wrote:That won't be a problem. Beer Lao only seems to taste good in Laos for some reason! All the stuff here has, Imported, on the label. Maybe we only get the second class chemicals added shit?
When I was in Vientiane it was a running joke that no bottle of Beer lao ever tasted the same.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Not much of a beer drinker but I also prefer cambodia these days, although I am not gonna boycot Angkor when I go to the brewery drink for free :bow:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Not much of a beer drinker but I also prefer cambodia these days, although I am not gonna boycot Angkor when I go to the brewery drink for free :bow:
Well, as long as you don't pay for it, I think that would be acceptable. :beer3:
And, same here, I don't drink Angkor by choice anyway.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

I prefer ankgor but it makes me windy
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

SinnSisamouth wrote:I prefer ankgor but it makes me windy
Seriously......we don't have to share everything. ;)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ @SinnSisamouth , feel free to talk about your sexual preferences, though. %)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic