The 3 Days of the Khmer New Year (Traditional Celebrations)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

The 3 Days of the Khmer New Year (Traditional Celebrations)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

I go back to the provinces to celebrate the Khmer New Year with my khmer friends to celebrate it the tradional cambodian way, after something PucketRichard posted in another thread i thought id start a new thread up to show what goes on in the provinces during Chaul Chnam Thmey, and share what we get up to, doing the traditional things in the day time and drinking and dancing in the pagoda grounds at night, its such a fun experience

here are some of my Pictures from last years khmer new year, with quotes from a website to explain whats going on...
The first day of the Khmer New Year is called Moha Songkran. The time around New Year is the only time when young Cambodians are allowed to meet and engage in “mixed” plays. It is also the opportunity for young men to look for potential brides.

At the beginning of the festival, people usually cook food and bring it to the monks in the pagodas. The pagodas are also a good place for Cambodians to meet other people who are also born in their region or who went to school together, but now live and work in other places. The pagoda thus becomes a place of reunion, meeting old friends and exchanging news about their lives. During the festival, many traditional games are played, such as throwing of “Ongkunhs”, rope pulling contests, and others.
The Second Day of the New Year is called Wanabat. This means “Day of Giving”. Traditionally, on this day one gives gifts to parents, grand-parents, and elderly people. Children receive new clothes, and poor people are given money or clothes. In the evening, the monks in the pagodas are asked to give a blessing.
The third day of the New Year is called Tanai Lieang Saka and means “new beginning”. After seeking the blessings of the monks in the morning, a joyful farewell celebration is held in the afternoon. In the streets and in public places, people pour water on each other. Children and young people throw baby powder and flour at each othe
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: The 3 Days of the Khmer New Year (Traditional Celebrations)

Post by General Mackevili »

Great pics, Jamie! Is that some sort of sack potato race going on? We got those in the States.
It is also the opportunity for young men to look for potential brides.
So, did you find a potential bride?
Image Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Second photo. I think it's not a part of Khmer New Year [ Traditional Celebrations ] for kids to put on boxing gloves and punch each other in the face. Maybe a new tradition introduced by ????????????
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

really enjoying the pics from duncan and jamie
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote:really enjoying the pics from duncan and jamie
Not my photos, all the credit goes to Jamie.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

had a great time in Kampong Cham again this year, will upload a few pics when i go through them all
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Great thread thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Great thread Jamie, thanks for sharing. I spent 7 (or 8?) nights out in the provinces this KNY, what a great time it was...getting back to the basics and enjoying spending time with family.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

A lot of prohok there, do they really have to put that much in the curry?
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

What province is this?

The temple looks vaguely familiar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic