The 'teenager love huts" of Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: The 'teenager love huts" of Cambodia

Post by Rutiger »

bolueeleh wrote:
Rutiger wrote:It's a fascinating aspect of one human culture when so much of the rest of the world is hell bent on safeguarding young female virginity. It's difficult to understand the logic behind the concept of maiden love huts, when pregnancy of unmarried teenage girls makes an already difficult young life much more difficult. I don't see how it benefits or empowers young women. I'm not surprised the tradition, if it really was a tradition, is fading out.

in some culture finding the correct son in law can mean the life or death of a whole family, especially an agricultural society
True, but teenage boy behavior being what is often is, it's difficult to see how the possible rewards outweigh the risks from the girls' family's perspective.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Rutiger wrote:
bolueeleh wrote:
Rutiger wrote:It's a fascinating aspect of one human culture when so much of the rest of the world is hell bent on safeguarding young female virginity. It's difficult to understand the logic behind the concept of maiden love huts, when pregnancy of unmarried teenage girls makes an already difficult young life much more difficult. I don't see how it benefits or empowers young women. I'm not surprised the tradition, if it really was a tradition, is fading out.

in some culture finding the correct son in law can mean the life or death of a whole family, especially an agricultural society
True, but teenage boy behavior being what is often is, it's difficult to see how the possible rewards outweigh the risks from the girls' family's perspective.
in some china rural community pregnancy out of wedlock is encouraged as the family only wants hands to work but not the actual marriage itself, as girl marrying off means 1 less hands to work, yea so we can only guess what is the rationale behind those love huts.
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RE: Re: The 'teenager love huts" of Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

bolueeleh wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I've listened to it, but It is still interesting! And nowadays such their culture is change by women.
it is not changed by woman per se, it is changed by khmer culture as a whole, these are minority tribes and sub cultures, their way of life and culture will be influenced by majority khmer culture. we should preserve as much of these sub culture as possible (im not saying this because of love huts) as diversity is good, diversity is what makes us human and ensures survivalbilty as a species.
They said it's changed because of Khmer culture, but I don't think so.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why else do you think it's changing? "Modernity" is reaching Cambodia, and being the dominant ethnic group, Khmers being their own views (and increasingly, foreign ones) with them to the east. Just 10 years ago, there were way fewer Khmers there than there are now. Lowland Khmers moved there over the years because of cheap land and have brought in their own culture and traditions who them. Knowingly or not, the dominant culture often looks down on the customs of the minorities.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic