French film The Path begins filming up north

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

It will be nice to see a movie that takes place in Cambodia and doesn't focus on the KR era.
Fri, 25 March 2016
Brent Crane

Oscar-nominated French filmmaker Jeanne Labrune (Vatel, Sans Un Cri, Tomorrow’s Another Day) is shooting her new feature film in Cambodia.

Le Chemin, or The Path (previous working title: Le Secret D’Hiroshi Amano), is set in contemporary Cambodia and tells the story of a young nun newly arrived to a rural village for service work.

The nun (Agathe Bonitzer) soon develops a passionate relationship with a local man (Randal Duoc, lead in Rithy Panh’s The Sea Wall) that she passes along a pathway each day to work.

But this is no run-of-the-mill romance flick, said Cedric Eloy, project manager for the Cambodia Film Commission.

“It’s about spirituality, relationships and humanity,” he said. “It’s a low-budget, art-house movie.”

The plot is an adaptation of the novel La Fiancée du Roi, written by Michel Huriet in 1982 and set in Japan.

The film began filming in Siem Reap on March 14, with shooting to move to Phnom Penh next month.

There is no release date set yet, but Eloy estimated it would be out toward the end of this year or early next.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... ming-north
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: French film The Path begins filming up north

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:It will be nice to see a movie that takes place in Cambodia and doesn't focus on the KR era.
Fri, 25 March 2016
Brent Crane

Oscar-nominated French filmmaker Jeanne Labrune (Vatel, Sans Un Cri, Tomorrow’s Another Day) is shooting her new feature film in Cambodia.

Le Chemin, or The Path (previous working title: Le Secret D’Hiroshi Amano), is set in contemporary Cambodia and tells the story of a young nun newly arrived to a rural village for service work.

The nun (Agathe Bonitzer) soon develops a passionate relationship with a local man (Randal Duoc, lead in Rithy Panh’s The Sea Wall) that she passes along a pathway each day to work.

But this is no run-of-the-mill romance flick, said Cedric Eloy, project manager for the Cambodia Film Commission.

“It’s about spirituality, relationships and humanity,” he said. “It’s a low-budget, art-house movie.”

The plot is an adaptation of the novel La Fiancée du Roi, written by Michel Huriet in 1982 and set in Japan.

The film began filming in Siem Reap on March 14, with shooting to move to Phnom Penh next month.

There is no release date set yet, but Eloy estimated it would be out toward the end of this year or early next.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... ming-north
will you keep an eye out for this, be interesting to watch,
you ever seen the film Holly?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419815/
Shot on location in Cambodia, including many scenes in actual brothels in the notorious red light district of Phnom Penh, HOLLY is a captivating, touching and emotional experience. Patrick, an American card shark and dealer of stolen artifacts, has been 'comfortably numb' in Cambodia for years, when he encounters Holly, a 12-year-old Vietnamese girl, in the K11 red light village. The girl has been sold by her impoverished family and smuggled across the border to work as a prostitute. Holly's virginity makes her a lucrative prize, and when she is sold to a child trafficker, Patrick embarks on a frantic search through both the beautiful and sordid faces of the country, in an attempt to bring her to safety. Harsh, yet poetic, this feature forms part of the 'K-11' Project, dedicated to raising awareness of the epidemic of child trafficking and the sex slavery trade through several film projects. The film's producers endured substantial hardships in order to be able to shoot in Cambodia ...
i enjoyed it, the films mainly in english during the actors scene, but the locals speak in khmer without subtitles (in the version i watched on amazon prime) which is fine if you understand khmer, i dont think it would spoil the movie too much if you cant though
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Rutiger
Expatriate

Post by Rutiger »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: you ever seen the film Holly?
I remember some talk of that movie when it came out, although I never saw it. It turned out to be American actor Chris Penn's final movie role before he died. This was some 4 years after he was kicked off the Cambodia-set movie City of Ghosts for being a useless, drunken ass.

Honestly, the plot of Holly seems quite predictable based on that description you pasted. I can practically visualize it scene by scene without seeing it. I want to see some films coming out of Camboida that don't fall into predictable stereotypes.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Rutiger wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: you ever seen the film Holly?
I remember some talk of that movie when it came out, although I never saw it. It turned out to be American actor Chris Penn's final movie role before he died. This was some 4 years after he was kicked off the Cambodia-set movie City of Ghosts for being a useless, drunken ass.

Honestly, the plot of Holly seems quite predictable based on that description you pasted. I can practically visualize it scene by scene without seeing it. I want to see some films coming out of Camboida that don't fall into predictable stereotypes.
a predictable stereotype sure, but still a good film (maybe only due to cambodia bias), but it does have a respectable 7.1 on imdb
the film has some good/interesting scenes of cambodia good/bad sides
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

damn didnt realise that was chris penns last movie before he died, im not sure i even knew he died!

just had a flashback of an old childhood favourite movie! "Best of the Best"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic