Prahok for export market ?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Prahok for export market ?

Post by Samouth »

Yes the second one is not prahok. It is called Ka pi by real Khmer people and Kii by Chinese-Khmer. Kii is considered as Chinese-Khmer's prahok. However, it doesn't smell really bad like prohok. Chinese-Khmer don't eat prahok. They think that prahok is really dirty and only low class people eat prahok. I have to admit that Chinese-khmers are snob.

@Little, not only people in Kampot calls it Kii, but every Chinese-khmer.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Ka pi or Kapik is shrimp paste. It is not the same as prahok. Prahok is made from fish.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Babble wrote:I love the taste, but those pictures make me vomit and I will struggle too eat again until that vision has left my brain.
(Not really) sorry if my photos made anyone vomit . When I saw this in the kitchen i knew I had to take a photo as evidence that it really exists. Words do not do it justice. :shock: Better just eat it and not look too closely.

I was told that the red stuff is called Kapi. This was what my Khmer family (who are not at all Chinese) called it, and I assume that it was made from fish not shrimps seeing as it was made in Ratanakiri from what's available locally.

So, I suppose that prahok and kapi are usually made with whatever is at hand, but of course prahok for export would have to have some sort of standards. I would have a really hard time telling "good" prahok from bad :fool:

How to make prahok, for you gourmets out there:
Warning: contains graphic content. :plus1:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia ‘prahoc‘ to go international
By Lakeland Staff Writer on December 29, 2018
A small community in Siem Reap province’s Chong Kneas commune is adamant about getting global recognition for their unique fermented fish paste, or “prahoc”, after the government endorsed a national standard for the most distinctive ingredient in Khmer cooking.

The push for Siem Reap prahoc fish paste to get geographical indication (GI) status came soon after the Association of Prahoc Fish Paste in Chong Kneas commune was established with 10 members drawn from prahoc producers. The association was formed early this year with funds from the Asian Development Bank in a project to support small communities in producing prahoc for local markets.

Prahoc, or crushed, salted, fermented fish paste, usually made from mud fish and gourami fish, has a distinct pungent taste and is added to almost all Cambodian dishes to give it the strong flavour it is known for, according to .

Kao Sochivy, deputy director-general of the fisheries department at the Agriculture Ministry, said: “We hope we will get GI status soon because now we have obtained a certificate from the ministry to make the prahoc fish paste in Siem Reap that conforms to the national standard.”

“We want our prahoc fish paste to have GI status so that it can be recognised in international markets,” Ms Sochivy said.

The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in 2015 submitted the national prahoc standard to the Institute of Standards for Cambodia, which later was approved by the government...
https://lakelandobserver.com/cambodia-p ... al/351193/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic