Samouth's Close Calls with Arranged Marriages in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: arranged marriage

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote:
General Chatter wrote:
Samouth wrote: Yes i have a sister. Many people said she is beautiful. However, sadly i am not looking for barang brother in law.
Why dont you want a Barang brother in law.....why are you planning your sisters life for her.....do you think you sound or are being racist ?

look forward to you reply :please:

yay oldschool Khemarak Sereymon :D love this song :P
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: RE: Re: arranged marriage

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
John Bingham wrote:
General Chatter wrote:
Samouth wrote: Yes i have a sister. Many people said she is beautiful. However, sadly i am not looking for barang brother in law.
Why dont you want a Barang brother in law.....why are you planning your sisters life for her.....do you think you sound or are being racist ?

look forward to you reply Imagelease:

such a good song. I wish everyone understand the meaning.
Then post it in Song and lyrics thread. :-)
you can do it Little salary.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Samouth's Close Calls with Arranged Marriages in Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Not free yet.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

It's an old thread but some really interesting comments by Samouth and taabarang. Generally as a middle class develops the frequency of young arranged marriages drops, but it generally remains high in poor and the elite upper families. In poor families it perpetuates their poverty as they are not financially prepared at such a young age to be burdened by children ( often far too many), while in elite wealthy familes it is done to maintain connections and wealth. Most of my close acquaintances' extended families though are middle class to upper middle (ie. Highlander to Landcruiser GXR families driven by the father, with owned properties and houses), living in Shv and PP (and nearby areas like Chroy Changvar) and while still traditional, there is definitely more freedom for their daughters to seek their own partners to marry as they are often away at school or doing things outside of the house, whereas in more rural areas people don't venture so far and spend more time closer to home helping out. Interestingly, of the dozen or so 16-22year olds in this group there is only boy that I know of, the rest are all girls, three are married and the others are busy studying, or admiring k-pop stars, or taking selfies from sky bars. In the 22-30 year old age range most of them are guys who have married after meeting their wife in high school or university and had a child after studying and starting a business.
You going to have to get this song translated Samouth, it's an easy one... :!:
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Hey Raybull, you pretty much understand about this thing. i bet you must have been living in Cambodia long time or maybe had been often interacting with Cambodian.

For the song, i will try to get it translated as soon as possible.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Samouth wrote:Hey Raybull, you pretty much understand about this thing. i bet you must have been living in Cambodia long time or maybe had been often interacting with Cambodian.

For the song, i will try to get it translated as soon as possible.
It's very similar in other less developed parts of asia, latin america, etc too, but there are cultural and religious differences aswell.
I first came here less about three years ago but I also have gone back to my country every year for 2-3 months (I'm not a fugitive like some barangs here ;) ) so I have lived in cambodia just over two years. I travelled for three years after finishing university and then I lived in a neighbouring country for six years before coming here. I haven't travelled a lot in rural Cambodia as the roads are so dangerous here but I did many trips all over central, northern and eastern Thailand, Issan where it was very similar to Cambodia (although in general they are richer and less conservative than rural khmers).
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: arranged marriage

Post by juansweetpotato »

Last edited by juansweetpotato on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: Samouth's Close Calls with Arranged Marriages in Cambodi

Post by juansweetpotato »

prahkeitouj wrote:Arranged marriage is like old people throw you into the well, but romantic marriage is like you jump into the well. Hehe .. if you are not srong enough then people will throw you.
:P
Ha ha, yes. I remember watching a documentary about a tribe living high in the remote mountains somewhere. They practiced polygamy.
The woman would need at least 3 husbands to be able to get anything out of the rocky ,barren ground. The bride to be wouldn't know anything about her marriage until the day of the wedding. She would know someone was getting married , but not who. Until they come and get her on the wedding day... You should have seen the shock on her face!

Also in Kazakhstan it is quite common to kidnap your wife to be. Farmers from the mountains come down to the towns to kidnap girls off the street to take back and marry. I saw a great documentary on it. The old women on the farm are the worst at coercing the kidnapped victim to agree to marry using all sorts of methods to make her succumb. Even violence..
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

juansweetpotato wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Arranged marriage is like old people throw you into the well, but romantic marriage is like you jump into the well. Hehe .. if you are not srong enough then people will throw you.
Ha ha, yes. I remember watching a documentary about a tribe living high in the remote mountains somewhere. They practiced polygamy.
The woman would need at least 3 husbands to be able to get anything out of the rocky ,barren ground. The bride to be wouldn't know anything about her marriage until the day of the wedding. She would know someone was getting married , but not who. Until they come and get her on the wedding day... You should have seen the shock on her face!

Also in Kazakhstan it is quite common to kidnap your wife to be. Farmers from the mountains come down to the towns to kidnap girls off the street to take back and marry. I saw a great documentary on it. The old women on the farm are the worst at coercing the kidnapped victim to agree to marry using all sorts of methods to make her succumb. Even violence..
haha yeah seen that doc a few times, but its Kyrgyzstan, close enough lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
juansweetpotato wrote:

haha yeah seen that doc a few times, but its Kyrgyzstan, close enough lol
I watch a lot of the Vice vids but missed this one. Thanks, it's a good one, pretty messed up stuff!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic