Chinese Expat Kevin Weng (CTO of Huawei Cambodia & Laos) Crashes BMW i8 into 2 Tuk-Tuks in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Expat Kevin Weng (CTO of Huawei Cambodia & Laos) Crashes BMW i8 into 2 Tuk-Tuks in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: A foreign man driving a BMW i8 around 5 AM on Sothearos Blvd in Sangkat Tonle Bassac crashed into 2 Tuk-Tuks and then fled the scene.

The driver of the BMW i8 (license plate 2AY-3333) appears to be Kevin Weng (翁科峰), a Chinese expat living in Cambodia and CTO/Deputy Managing Director of Huawei Technologies Cambodia & Laos since 2014.

He tried to flee to Diamond Island, but angry locals who saw him hit the 2 Tuk-Tuks chased him down and stopped him.

No injuries reported and no charges have been filed yet.

This story also seems to be disappearing from across social media and Khmer news outlets who reported on it earlier today for no apparent reason.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Chinese Expat Kevin Weng (CTO of Huawei Cambodia & Laos) Crashes BMW i8 into 2 Tuk-Tuks in Phnom Penh

Post by Anchor Moy »

Great photo.
Deserves to be '" shared'.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Chinese Expat Kevin Weng (CTO of Huawei Cambodia & Laos) Crashes BMW i8 into 2 Tuk-Tuks in Phnom Penh

Post by General Mackevili »

And someone already posted on CEO's Facebook page to say everyone knew he was very drunk last night, and then edited it a few minutes later to just say, "he was drunk I think."

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Seng Realtu's job might be up for grabs tomorrow.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

What a fuktard. Glad they got him. Big payoff for some no doubt.

I do not think that is an i8. No matter. Huawei is a major player here so a few a $K and all is well.
A Chinese CTO is prolly impervious to kryptonite & bullets. As long as no one died then prolly $5K fixes all. Except the Bimmer. Huawei buy you new more better.

As in “Regarding the law, there is no need to imprison him because he was not too drunk,”'. Similar to a most recent Khmer official recent report.

Money talks with a quiet voice. :beer3:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: RE: Re: Chinese Expat Kevin Weng (CTO of Huawei Cambodia & Laos) Crashes BMW i8 into 2 Tuk-Tuks in Phnom Penh

Post by General Mackevili »

Luigi wrote:What a fuktard. Glad they got him. Big payoff for some no doubt.

I do not think that is an i8. No matter. Huawei is a major player here so a few a $K and all is well.
A Chinese CTO is prolly impervious to kryptonite & bullets. As long as no one died then prolly $5K fixes all. Except the Bimmer. Huawei buy you new more better.

As in “Regarding the law, there is no need to imprison him because he was not too drunk,”'. Similar to a most recent Khmer official recent report.

Money talks with a quiet voice. :beer3:
Out of curiosity, what makes you think it's NOT an i8 BMW?

I don't know cars very well, but based on all the media coverage and even old posts from months ago calling this particular car an i8, I'd think saying it's an i8 would be a pretty safe bet, no?

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Pictures of his car on kh440 do looks like an i8.
Anyway I am posting on this to wonder if Chinese ambassy isn't pulling strings to help their nationals caught up in this kind of situation ?
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

CTO - chief tipsy officer, i8 what an ugly BMW, actually its windfall for the tuk tuks owner, they are not seriously injured but they get few grand, buy a new tuk tuk, gamble and drink the remaining amount away for the next few months
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:Pictures of his car on kh440 do looks like an i8.
Anyway I am posting on this to wonder if Chinese ambassy isn't pulling strings to help their nationals caught up in this kind of situation ?
I doubt it, there are a whole lot of Chinese around the world, far too many for the embassy to follow. If anything he just stumped up his own cash to bury this story.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Why is the country manager of Cambodia and Laos on such a big paycheck? They're basically two tiny markets worth very little (less than 20 million total?). Growth rate is probably high, but would still be considered a punishment posting by most Western firms. Plus phones basically sell themselves. All you need is a bit of local marketing and a distribution network. Does Huawei really have that much cash to pay it's employees?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic