Best Automatic Moto

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Rama
Expatriate

Re: Best Automatic Moto

Post by Rama »

I thought any Honda with a 'NCX' sticker on was made in the Honda factory in Phnom Penh, but could well be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Kuroneko wrote:
Rama wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:22 pm I used to drive a Yamaha Spark 135, my favourite small bike I've ridden in Cambodia. Looks similar to the Yamaha 150cc Jupiter above which I've seen recently on Phnom Penh streets. Big tyres, but looks similar to the Spark. Doesn't​ the Jupiter have a clutch lever?(like the Spark)

As far as I'm aware Yamaha do not import the 135 here. Here's the model lineup sold by Yamaha here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com.kh/english/lineup/ Note the manual spark means manual gears.

The Jupiter and spark sold in Yamaha dealers in Cambodia are automatic clutch and 115cc. The 135cc version sold in Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia have an optional manual or automatic clutch. The manual clutch was discontinued last year. Did you get someone or yourself to import the 135 from Thailand? If I get the Exciter 150 it will probably have to come from Vietnam.
I got the 135cc manual clutch Spark here at the Yamaha showroom near Olympic stadium. 10 /11 years ago. They didn't have many in stock and I remember being told they weren't selling well.
I was very happy with it. It still runs well, I gave it to an employee and he regularly drives it to and back from Prey Veng.

I like the look of the Jupiter, and the idea of a 150cc small bike.

Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

You must have been one of their first customers. They opened here on 15 September, 2008 the same year that the T135 was launched in Thailand as the Spark 135i. They probably got their first stock from there. Back then it would probably have been considered a top of the line bike and not surprised it did not sell well. Hang on to that bike it could be considered a collectors item :D

Edit - Here ya go :D

Yamaha Exciter 150cc 2017 ថៃជប៉ុន $1650
http://www.khmer12.com/pages/productdetail/4569
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

^ no have tax
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

My first choice for an auto in Cambodia would actually be a Today with stronger shocks installed. Giant underseat storage, flat floor for water tanks/boxes/whatever, and the build quality is a bit stronger than NCX, Thai, Viet bikes.

My second choice would be a Lead 110.

I'm riding around on a 17' Airblade 125 right now (Viet built and plated), and it's a decent bike for what would be $1700 usd in Cambodia.

The PCX I'd steer clear of unless you shell out the money for a nearly new one. I personally did not like mine (2013' 150cc) as it was too low, too heavy, and too big for my liking in Cambodia.

The Airblade and Click are very similar and I believe use the same motor.

NCX bikes are "Made in Cambodia", which means they're assembled from knock down kits (box of parts).
-insert signature here
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

SinnSisamouth wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 pm ^ no have tax
:cry: Looks like I'm keeping my Jupiter!
Jacobincambodia
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jacobincambodia »

AE86 wrote:My first choice for an auto in Cambodia would actually be a Today with stronger shocks installed. Giant underseat storage, flat floor for water tanks/boxes/whatever, and the build quality is a bit stronger than NCX, Thai, Viet bikes.

I'm riding around on a 17' Airblade 125 right now (Viet built and plated), and it's a decent bike for what would be $1700 usd in Cambodia.

The PCX I'd steer clear of unless you shell out the money for a nearly new one. I personally did not like mine (2013' 150cc) as it was too low, too heavy, and too big for my liking in Cambodia.

NCX bikes are "Made in Cambodia", which means they're assembled from knock down kits (box of parts).

Appreciate the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Jacobincambodia wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:05 pm
AE86 wrote:My first choice for an auto in Cambodia would actually be a Today with stronger shocks installed. Giant underseat storage, flat floor for water tanks/boxes/whatever, and the build quality is a bit stronger than NCX, Thai, Viet bikes.

Appreciate the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. I'll just add the airblade has two rear spring shocks while the Click only one, and the build quality of airblades (from Vietnam) is questionable whereas Click i believe are mostly Thai made, although the NCX is now available. Airblades are the moto of choice for the majority of foreigners, and the PCX will be a chore to sell it seems.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Raybull wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:49 pm...and the PCX will be a chore to sell it seems.
They're actually really easy to sell as lots of rich Khmer and Viet like them. Put for sale slightly lower than the median asking price and you'll be set.

Put mine up for sale in the mourning, was gone before lunchtime.
-insert signature here
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

AE86 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:40 am
Raybull wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:49 pm...and the PCX will be a chore to sell it seems.
They're actually really easy to sell as lots of rich Khmer and Viet like them. Put for sale slightly lower than the median asking price and you'll be set.

Put mine up for sale in the mourning, was gone before lunchtime.
Interesting, the ones I see on FB groups languish forever, maybe they're asking too much. I also very rarely see Khmers diving them, might be different in other cities though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic